Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

Guest Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I was interested to find this thread. I went to the running club in Northamptonshire where I live last night and we had a lady who came to do a bit of race walking with us.

It brought back a few memories as I'm from Sheffield as was a member of the Hallamshire Harriers for a while as a teenager. But more interesting than that my dad Roy Millitt actually won the Sheffield Star Walk in 1961!! We still have all the newspaper cuttings. If anyone remembers my dad Roy Millitt from Sheffield it would be great to hear from you. My dad does have a photo somewhere of a line up of the winners over a 20 year period so it would be great if anyone knows him.

WendyE

we use to stand at corners of hartley brook and barnsley road

and watch star walk.

my mum's got a very old picture of crowd stood there must be from 40s.

Hi Tara what years are you talking about we always stood there as well, I was the youngest lad in it 1970 just over 16, I lived at no 13 hartley brook rd

Before the war on the Star walk day , my parents along with their friends , used to spend the day in the Lane Top Working Mans club. At the appropriate time they would drag us kids to the corner outside the Pheasant ? inn to watch the walkers . One of the pubs staff used to dispense pints of ale , how the system worked I have no idea, but I do remember the crowds that turned out to watch.

Hi Janner what years? what did they call your parents?.

• 1 month later...

I remember the star walk. I remember Albert Parr very well. There used to be a photo of him on the wall in the Ball Inn on upwell street. I think its still there. My Dad entered a lot of star walks every year. He won cups and medals. It was a good day out for us when we were kids

I went in the Star walk in 1972,no training no practise suede boots road runner t shirt finished 102 out of 365 absolutely jiggered for want of a better word couldnt walk for two days and suffered with my joints ever since.(not the ones you smoke)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...