60s Dixons Lane photos

Originally posted by Strix

It looks like it moved :D

Wow, what a good photo. That brings back some memories of when I worked down the Market. I used to trudge up Dixon lane at the end of the day absolutely Knackered. Call in at Davy's for a Dripping Cake to eat on the way home. Have a quick look in Ogleys or was it Maces pet shop and then catch the bus home. I got 15 bob for working all day saturday and I was only 14. Then I would blow the lot at the fairground at woodhouse or somewhere, mainly on the Waltzer.

Its interesting to look down Dixon Lane and see what the air was like in Sheffield in those days. I can remember when the bus used to turn left from City Road onto Granville road you couldnt see to the bottom. It was like that all the time until they brought in the clean air act and we all had to use coke instead of coal. Can anyone remember having to have a scarf around your face when your mum packed you off to school, all because of the choking smog.

Thanks for sharing the photo with us.

I am sure that I recall at least one photo of Dixons Lane in the 60s [i was born 1n 61, so I vaguely remember it then], in one of the books published by The Star newspaper. It is either in 'Sheffield in the Sixties', 'Memories of Sheffield' or 'More Memories of Sheffield'. Good luck, and very sorry that I can't be more specific.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by lazarus

Im looking at a photo of two stalls outside THE ROCK TAVERN on Dixon Lane. The landlords name over the door is Sam Wilde

the pub was closed in the sixties and was sold to kings for over thirty thousand pounds which was an enormous sum then, its still there but is now a bacon shop.

If you send me a private message with your address I will send the photo to you.

I sent the photos mentioned to Bazmanau but he has not even bothered to tell me if he has received them.

• 11 months later...
No but I remember Philip Cann the music man shop. where you had to go downstairs to the record dept. If you wanted to listen to any records you went into the designated booth and they put the record on. Must admit it was the best record shop of the time.

Both My Missus & I worked @ Canns when they were on Chapel Walk before it became Vallances. Any other ex collegues out there?

Archived