Scientific advisor on drugs sacked for telling truth

Professor David Nutt appeared on a very interesting Horizon programmed called Do I Drink Too Much a couple of weeks ago. It was very interesting.

I have heard him speak numerous times on TV/Radio and he always seems very nice and sensible, so it is no surprise he is not cut out for politics unfortunately.

I can recommend the Horizon programme, which is still available on BBC iPlayer.

It is only the same as how they have rejected the Cambridge Primary Review, after educational experts spent 6 years doing intensive research and collecting evidence, and yet they accepted the Badman Review into Home education which was completed in a couple of months and has had its statistics completely rubbished as not accurate or rigorous. Of course the Badman review agreed with their policies and the Cambridge review challenged them.

UK government drugs policy is unravelling:

Today, Dr Les King told the BBC he had decided to step down because he felt Alan Johnson had denied Nutt's "freedom of expression".

He said that while the government had "a right" to reject the panel's advice, its attitude towards the advisory body had changed "very recently".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/nov/01/drug-adviser-les-king-quits

Anoteher nail in the coffin that will bury Labour for at least the next eight years. All we need to do now is get everyone that has taken an illegal drug in the last month to go to their local police station over the same weekend, 'own up' to it and insist on being charged. Even if only 10% of us did it, it would crash the CPS and the Court system.

Well I think the Minister was right to sack this upstart, who clearly has no idea.

I smoked some marijuana once, and I have been living in a subteranean nightmare ever since, being gnawed on by rats and surviving off eating passing floaters, and only venturing out to post on SF and mug helpless pensioners so I can get my next fix.

Never mind that 'Ask Frank' nonsense...'Reefer Madness' was the most realistic and informative film ever made about cannabis.

I'm sure Alan Johnson and Prime Minister Brown would agree, this film should be shown in all schools.

Anoteher nail in the coffin that will bury Labour for at least the next eight years. All we need to do now is get everyone that has taken an illegal drug in the last month to go to their local police station over the same weekend, 'own up' to it and insist on being charged. Even if only 10% of us did it, it would crash the CPS and the Court system.

Actually, I have heard of something like this. The protesters at lakenheath or Mildenhall USAF bases used to cut one strand of the perimeter wire with some pliers, then go down the dop shop and turn themselves in for criminal damage.

Parisiens rose up as one and arranged for all car clamps to be sabotaged with super glue.

Say 3 million people smoke grass, and a percentage of them went down the station to confess...

This is an insane situation, I understand the argument that say Pro Nutt ought not to have courted the media so assiduously, but essentially a man has been sacked for telling the truth, surely Nutt's a whistleblower?

The point that scares me is that these ministers are quite happy to throw years of careful study by intelligent, good willed people with widely recognised expertise out of the window without a second thought.

Instead they consider themselves experts on everything and base policy on... well... I don't even know how they come to their decisions.

It certainly isn't through rational means, and it is simply terrifying that the people in power go with 'gut feeling' on subjects they are not close to qualified to even have an opinion on.

As pointed out, a very similar situation occurred with the really rather sensible Cambridge Primary Review of education.

The point that scares me is that these ministers are quite happy to throw years of careful study by intelligent, good willed people with widely recognised expertise out of the window without a second thought.

Instead they consider themselves experts on everything and base policy on... well... I don't even know how they come to their decisions.

It certainly isn't through rational means, and it is simply terrifying that the people in power go with 'gut feeling' on subjects they are not close to qualified to even have an opinion on.

As pointed out, a very similar situation occurred with the really rather sensible Cambridge Primary Review of education.

They are control freaks, and that is why they crave power in the first place. They will never sit back and let education experts run education or people who've actually taken the time to explore the facts set drugs policy, because if they ever did that, it would soon become apparent just exactly how superfluous they actually are.

Archived