Millhouses open air swimming pool

Abbeycres

I used to use the old swimming pool in the very late forties or early fifties and the father of a good friend of mine used to be one of the hardy group who used to break the ice in winter- not me though! Does anyone remember how high the highest diving board was as I seem to recall that it was about 30 feet?

The pool was where the new childrens playground now is although in the 70's it had been transformed into a two pool lido. The main entrance was in a range of buildings that ran alongside the path that goes from the Waggon and Horses down to the new skateboard park.

Those diving boardds looked terrifying to a slightly [then] smaller me

There have been previous threads on this, I went there regularly as a young boy and broke the ice throughout the winter of 1950-51, I virtually lived there during the 6-week holidays and was befriended by the attendants Sam Lauder and Bill Hodgkinson. I think even then the metric measurement was in use as I was led to understand that the pool was 100m long and 30m wide and the diving boards were 1m, (and this is where my memory is a little hazy) 3m and 6m or was it 8m. The pool was sited where the childrens playing area is parallel to the road and was entered by using the park entrance more or less opposite Hartington Rd and then taking the path bearing right which led to the pool office and turnstile. Admission was 9d. (about 4p) and if you went every Sunday morning throughout the winter like I did you became a "Spartan" and were granted free admission, oh and by the way the boating lake was always where it is now.

There have been previous threads on this, I went there regularly as a young boy and broke the ice throughout the winter of 1950-51, I virtually lived there during the 6-week holidays and was befriended by the attendants Sam Lauder and Bill Hodgkinson. I think even then the metric measurement was in use as I was led to understand that the pool was 100m long and 30m wide and the diving boards were 1m, (and this is where my memory is a little hazy) 3m and 6m or was it 8m. The pool was sited where the childrens playing area is parallel to the road and was entered by using the park entrance more or less opposite Hartington Rd and then taking the path bearing right which led to the pool office and turnstile. Admission was 9d. (about 4p) and if you went every Sunday morning throughout the winter like I did you became a "Spartan" and were granted free admission, oh and by the way the boating lake was always where it is now.

I think that if you substitute 'feet' for 'metres' you will be about right sharrovian.

I remember it as the lido,a great place to go in summer.I remember millhouses as a busy park so full of familys enjoying a nice day out.Also i can remember the childrens slides in the lido scaring me to death!! I really wanted to try it but couldent swim at the time...Happy days...