Poppies - Do you wear a red, white or purple poppy?

I think we all know that if you buy a red poppy it goes to support the Royal British Legion.

Hving done some research if you buy a white poppy the money goes to support ths lot - http://www.whitepoppy.org.uk/ - and not a penny goes to former servicemen.

If you buy a purple poppy the money goes to support this lot - http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/ABOUT/ - and not a penny goes to former servicemen.

I'll stick to the Red Poppy thanks.

It's not that at all Donkey - I just don't believe in concientious objection, you're either up for doing your part or you're a passenger

No matter what lies/distortions are rammed down our throats as justification for war?

If you buy a purple poppy the money goes to support this lot - http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/ABOUT/ - and not a penny goes to former servicemen.

I'll stick to the Red Poppy thanks.

and if anybody is thinking of 'supporting' Animal Aid, read this first:

http://www.farmersguardian.com/news/abattoir-hits-back-at-animal-aid-claims/27667.article

Another bunch of hysterical animal nuts it would seem (and yes I volunteer in animal rescue myself)

Maybe so, But I wear mine for those who did something rather than those who stood by

Right, but you made an absolute statement, that you don't believe in concientious objection. If conscription was enforced tomorrow, would you trust the current powers in their decisions to send our men and women into battle? Would people be wrong for not blindly accepting what they're fed by the "war cabinet"?

It's not that at all Donkey - I just don't believe in concientious objection, you're either up for doing your part or you're a passenger

That's a fair point - but only if the war is genuinely in defence of your freedom.

The problem I have with Royal British Legion thing (he says, preparing for ouraged baclash for kicking sacred cow ) is the involvement of the Royal family and the establishment. At least half a dozen of my uncles fought in the British forces against the Nazis, but they were all Irish, and I don't think they would have felt particularly represented by the heavily pro Royal family/establishment overtones of rememberance ceremonies. Neither would the many British people who fought in the war because they hated fascism, but who also happened to think the Royals were a bunch of spongers.

If red poppy money goes to ex servicemen, that's a good thing, but it's a shame that the same establishment figures who don't actually care enough about these ex servicemen to ensure they are adequately provided for, are allowed to hijack the ceremonies in their commemoration, so that they resemble heavily politicised parades for dogmatic patriotism, as opposed to genuine honouring of ALL ex service men and women.

Edited by donkey

Right, but you made an absolute statement, that you don't believe in concientious objection. If conscription was enforced tomorrow, would you trust the current powers in their decisions to send our men and women into battle? Would people be wrong for not blindly accepting what they're fed by the "war cabinet"?

But concientious objection is rebellion in the face of conscription. I don't agree with the politics of going to war but I feverently support our troops - Anything less is shortchanging our armed forces.

If you live in a democracy, you have to be prepared to be called upon to do your duty should the need arise. Having the trappings of a civilised and fair society is a laudable aim but one should always remember that there has to be a sacrifice should push come to shove.

being 'blindly fed by the war cabinet' and 'conscription' ensured Hitler didn't achieve his dream

Can you imagine chaos this country would be in if we had to face WWII this year?

I'll repeat... "I don't believe in concientious objection" is an absolute statement. After the Iraq and Afghanistan debacles, it would seem more logical to object to being a part of such unnecessary conflict. That's my point. People should be educated enough to understand when a threat truly is a threat versus fighting for some elite business venture.

But concientious objection is rebellion in the face of conscription. I don't agree with the politics of going to war but I feverently support our troops - Anything less is shortchanging our armed forces.

If you live in a democracy, you have to be prepared to be called upon to do your duty should the need arise. Having the trappings of a civilised and fair society is a laudable aim but one should always remember that there has to be a sacrifice should push come to shove.

Currently, we may be facing increasing threats because of our aggressive foreign policy over the past decades. I would see it my duty to defend my people, but I would not see it my duty to help secure more territory in some grand imperialistic conquest, which is the game currently being played by western powers.