Poppies - Do you wear a red, white or purple poppy?

To be honest I'm not too concerned with how many bunny rabbits came to harm whilst my late great granddad and 60,000 of his mates got annihilated on the 1st day of the battle of the somme!

The first world war would have ground to a halt without the horses

Anyway - I went digging, and I won't be buying a purple one

I disapprove of the hijacking that's going on wrt poppy day!

To be honest I'm not too concerned with how many bunny rabbits came to harm whilst my late great granddad and 60,000 of his mates got annihilated on the 1st day of the battle of the somme!

Animals were killed by eg walking a dog out into a mine field to detonate hidden mines, pigeons to send messages etc. It's not specifically about Flopsy in his hutch

Swan:-

The proportion, generally of Conscientious Objectors was and is very low, so I don't think that the argument, nor the snip-ey comments necessarily work. (In fact, most C-Obs did take part in work toward the war effort. the ones who Conscientiously Objected to even working on that was an even smaller proportion of the small proportion).

You could just as easily say that the men who worked in the vital industries (I've forgotten the particular name for the exemption) "Stood By" and you'd be equally wrong. ("Reserved Occupations"- I've just remembered the phrase)

The sniding we see in this thread about those who wear a poppy of a different colour, or no poppy at all goes against what the fallen in conflict purportedly died for, surely? - The right to hold ones own beliefs and not be forced, sheep-like into a state-sponsored ideology of war? (or DID the Stasi start work on us Brits, and we weren't aware?)

This sniding is a bit like the one-upmanship we saw when Diana died. You aren't a-wailing and a-beating your chest, and threatening to throw yourself of a building, so you are hardhearted/ unpatriotic/ uncaring * (select one) and your mourning is not genuine. Oh, and MY grief is better and more eloquently expressed than yours, because it's more public! Etc, etc.

I support the troops currently fighting in the Gulf. I have sympathy for the troops who have fallen, in this conflict and the previous wars.

However, I don't support the current war, and believe that it is unjust, and being fought on a false premise.

I am also glad to see the words "Haig Fund" are now removed from the centre of my poppy, as Haig (and Kitchener) were warmongering idiots.

Very true Plain Talker. I wear a white poppy because I want to remember people of all nations who have died through man's inhumanity to one another. I am a pacifist and would be a conscientious objector during a war but that doesn't mean I don't care about the people fighting wars elsewhere in the world. I just don't believe anyone can tell me to kill another person. Surely in a democratic society we can respect each others points of views without throwing mud.:(

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
I think we all know that if you buy a red poppy it goes to support the Royal British Legion.

Hving done some research if you buy a white poppy the money goes to support ths lot - http://www.whitepoppy.org.uk/ - and not a penny goes to former servicemen.

If you buy a purple poppy the money goes to support this lot - http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/ABOUT/ - and not a penny goes to former servicemen.

I'll stick to the Red Poppy thanks.

The reason is you wear the purple alongside the red one so do your research first!