Poppies - Do you wear a red, white or purple poppy?

It's thinking like yours, that had underage boys like my grandfather joining up in the first world war.
You're seriously blaming someone's opinion in 2014, for your grandfather's own choice 100 ago? :shocked:

It's thanks to your grandfather, and so many more like him, that my grandfather was born French rather than German. Think on that, even if only a little.

Red poppy for me, needless to say.

Edited by L00b

I always wear red though to be honest I wasn't aware of a white poppy or a purple one as I've never seen either

---------- Post added 10-11-2014 at 21:10 ----------

The poppy is worn to remember servicemen and women who died and were injured in wars and conflicts where they were sent by politicians.

War is a terrible thing.

Politicians aren't any better especially in this age, likely worse regardless of the parties they represent

I lived and worked near Aldershot for a few years and got to know a lot of soldiers, and when you get to know a lot of soldiers you come to realise that they only really want three things:

1) To be properly organised and equipped when doing their jobs.

2) To be properly treated and supported if they get hurt.

3) For their families to be looked after if the worst happens.

This continuous fawning over service personnel and feting them as heroes is a sickess we've caught from the US. They do it because it's easy, when providing the three things listed above is hard (and expensive).

As for poppies, I stopped wearing one a couple of years ago but have increased my donations to the British Legion. I think the hijacking of the symbol by far right groups is sickening distorition of what stands for and I now feel like they win if I wear it. I think the sentiment behind the white poppy (that it's to remember all victims of war, not just soldiers) is a good one, but I wouldn't buy one as I've never seen the PPU do anything good with the money they take.

As for poppies, I stopped wearing one a couple of years ago but have increased my donations to the British Legion. I think the hijacking of the symbol by far right groups is sickening distorition of what stands for and I now feel like they win if I wear it. I think the sentiment behind the white poppy (that it's to remember all victims of war, not just soldiers) is a good one, but I wouldn't buy one as I've never seen the PPU do anything good with the money they take.

I'm sure the majority of people who wear the red poppy or donate to the British Legion won't be right wing jingoists.

People will have different thoughts, about the red poppy display at the Tower of London created by the ceramic artist Paul Cummins. I think its a poignant but moving sight, and a fitting tribute in the WW1 centenary.

Wearing a red poppy or taking part in a remembrance or commemoration event isn't an endorsement of war.