Pond Street Cyril

jacobt01

Yes - poor Cyril was found dead in 1976. Here's my post from this thread:

"...Cyril Griffin, a homeless and harmless down-and-out who at one time had been a skilled electrician at Firth Brown's. He had some sort of breakdown after his parents died and spent the rest of his life on the streets. He died, apparently of exposure, one cold night in December 1976 and was found in the BHS doorway; he was 52".

He was a nice bloke

I felt sorry for Cyril and he was a nice bloke. As a young lad in the 1970s i would go down town at Christmas to buy presents. I would walk through the hole in the road to give Cyril a bit of money. Although it was only 50p or a £1 he would always appreciate this gesture. I remember he would always have string tied around his overcoat as it had no buttons. It seems strange he chose to live the way he did, i presume he snubbed any help.

I felt sorry for Cyril and he was a nice bloke. As a young lad in the 1970s i would go down town at Christmas to buy presents. I would walk through the hole in the road to give Cyril a bit of money. Although it was only 50p or a £1 he would always appreciate this gesture. I remember he would always have string tied around his overcoat as it had no buttons. It seems strange he chose to live the way he did, i presume he snubbed any help.

if you gave him a pound in the 70's or ten bob even you must have been loaded, as a young lad also at the time i used to get 2 bob a week spending money :)

50p or a pound was a fair bit of money for a kid in the 70s, I wish I had that much money to give away as a kid in the 70s.

Archived