Call a Spade a Spade?

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

I call a spade an ablative kintetic geomorphological modification instrument as it happens

Please dig a little deeper Phan. You might end up seeing macropods bounding toward the nearest banyan tree whilst listening to the kookaburra.(whose song sounds like human laughter).

Nationality is, ultimately, bull****.

These hypothetical wars, are in all likelihood, to be fought in the national interest. Why else fight a war? Remove nation states from that equation and your hypothetical war are in the interests of whom? No-one.

Nationality is a prison not a fortress...

As William Lloyd Garrison (1805–1879) wrote:

‘ My country is the world; my countrymen are mankind.’

Prospectus of the Public Liberator, 1830.

Garrison was an abolishionist. For more than three decades, from the first issue of his weekly paper ‘Liberator’in 1831, until after the end of the Civil War in 1865 when the last issue was published, Garrison spoke out eloquently and passionately against slavery and for the rights of America's black inhabitants.

I concur.

Nationality is, ultimately, bull****.

These hypothetical wars, are in all likelihood, to be fought in the national interest. Why else fight a war? Remove nation states from that equation and your hypothetical war are in the interests of whom? No-one.

Nationality is a prison not a fortress.

Right on.

Was just reading words to the same effect in Orwell's Homage to Catalonia - that nation states and their borders are just accidents of history and politics (and sometimes geography), and nearly always formed in the aftermath of land grabbing and bloodshed. Civilised people should try not to care too much about them.

Having said all that, I do believe that nations (or other groups) should have a right to defend themselves if threatened by invaders.

Archived