Further Postal Action

What do you think?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• In favour of the Unions actions (they have a right to strike)
    • Not in favour of the further planned strikes.
    • Why are they actually striking? (some people seem unsure as to why the Union has called action)
    • No opinion

I was watching a Union official on the Breakfast news this morning. He said that they are striking again this week to voice their disagreement with the Post Office employing thousands of Temporary Workers, to cover the backlog of letters so there isn't delays at Christmas.

So Lets get this right....The Union is proposing another strike, to demonstrate against their employer, employing staff to clear the mess caused by a previous strike. :loopy: This could go on for a while !!!

I now avoid buying anything on the internet from sites that still use Royal Mail, and am also in the process of changing my bill payments to "Paperless" as are alot of other people I know, so I think Royal Mail will be loosing a lot more customers over the coming weeks:loopy:

I was watching a Union official on the Breakfast news this morning. He said that they are striking again this week to voice their disagreement with the Post Office employing thousands of Temporary Workers, to cover the backlog of letters so there isn't delays at Christmas.

So Lets get this right....The Union is proposing another strike, to demonstrate against their employer, employing staff to clear the mess caused by a previous strike. :loopy: This could go on for a while !!!

Usually what happens is the posties won't be paid for the time on strike but make it up in overtime sorting the stuff out afterwards,if RM get temps in to do this then the posties will be losing money and may not back the strike as solidly..

With more postal action planned for this week :-

Who is still in favour of the Unions action? Is our postal system losing the good will of the City, should they get back to work or continue to strike?

The end result is the same either way - not unlike the Thatcher attacks on the miners......... once the product (coal or postal delivery) can be acquired by cheaper means then the industry is doomed to fail regardless of the spats between union and management. The strike merely hastened the process as the product could be (and stil is) acquired cheaper

Technology is taking the place of a postal delivery service and the Royal Mail are caught in the same cunundrum as the busses higher fares fewer passengers so higher fares to cover the operation costs - even fewer passengers cycle.

Royal Mail are committed to finding funding for Mr Croziers personal requirement of 3 million a year and that of his hangers on from a diminishing customer base who are turning to the internet for communications which had previously done by letter.

One attempt to make up the shortfall has been done by adjusting the prices to reflect size or to put it another way charge for an existing service which had been provided as inclusive. All that does to me is send me to the nearest fax machine where delivery is guaranteed because lets face it choose how much you pay its a bit of a lottery with RM.

Thats not necessarily a bad thing for big business or government as it allows for a number of scams where we are increasingly being penalised financially for non resoponse (Banks DVLA Council Tax) and its easy for the big boys to blame the Post Office because it was definitely sent.

That qualifies the sender to impose the penalty apparently even though you cannot respond if you havent received.

The only way the the RM can survive long term is to charge the existing customers more by way of stealth - attract new customers by being competitive *which doesnt allow for 3 million quid salaries) or reducing the staff.

Im not sure the average postie has a view on what size of item he brings to your door be it six inches square or 10 inches square and im pretty sure they see none of the additional income generated.

One way to look at the absurdity perhaps is to establish how many more delivery staff could be financed if Crozier were to take a walk to cuckoo land where im sure hed feel at home.

I have a lot of sympathy with the union but im afraid they missed the boat as the time to take action was in 92 or whenever the employer decided it might be a good idea to take a pensions holiday.

Even a union official thick enough to qualify as a home secretary or sack a chief science adviser ought to have realised where that would lead......... and bugger me here it is.... drumroll ......... a massive hole in the pension fund although i can think of a way to plug that at a rate of 3 million quid per annum.

Strike as long as they want as far as I'm concerned.

All I get through the letter box is bills so I've no objection to them refusing to deliver my mail. I have only sent one letter in the last three months, that was september 9th and it has still not arrived and cost me an £18 late payment charge so as far as I am concerned they were uselss before the strike.