Keeton Hall Farm Wall Building, Kiveton Park.

When my familly lived at Kiveton Lane in Kiveton (1968 to '73) I remember being told a story about a WW2 German Prisoner of War. He was supposed to have built the walls around Keeton Hall Farm. Is this true? I always believed (and did at the time) that the Geneva Convention did not allow the use of POW's for manual labour that could aid their captors. Kevin Taylor.

hi

he built the stone barns in the farm yard,his name is in a stone above the door,forgot his name but will find out for you dont know if he built the walls.i belive he stayed in this country and married someone from harthill.

now heres the strange thing,same surname as you,lived on kiveton lane from1960 my mum still lives on there 1 was 13 in 1973 2 younger brothers and a older sister,bet we know each other pm me could be intresting

Originally posted by kev21662

I always believed (and did at the time) that the Geneva Convention did not allow the use of POW's for manual labour that could aid their captors.

German prisoners of war are also supposed to have laid the original roads on Parson Cross as well. At least thats what my dad told me and he lived on there from 1953 to 1970

I understand that in its day, Keeton Hall (demolished 160 years ago) contained a stupendous art collection. It's difficult to believe that your own modest mining village once had its own "National Gallery"! Kevin Taylor.

Archived