What did you leave behind?

Texas

Where to start?

The 40+ dinky and corgi models complete with boxes which my younger brother swapped for whatever rubbish he was into at the time.

The Lion & Tiger comics which started at No 1 right through until my father thought I should put these childish things behind me and swapped them all for a collection of Popular Mechanic magazines.

My collection of original James Bond and spaghetti western film posters.

My eyes are filling up too much for me to continue.

Two items that I wish I still had are: a. an 18th centuary Scottish hunting sword which just disappeared whilst I was on my travels and b. my Lambretta scooter which I last saw about 1961. I must admit though that I had given my parents permission to sell that particular item as I had bought a new one in Cyprus.

Mike

Lots of things. unusul toys you wouldnt get now. I had this wicked walking cow, I used to race it with my crawling doll

But my mum would always be in my room on a rampage, finding stuff she could donate to the childrens hospital, if I hadnt played with it for a bit.

A nice thought but some stuff would have been nice to keep long term.

Wish I had the project that I did when I was 11 which won a prize - my kids are around that age now and it would be really interesting for them to see what I did when I was their age.

It was about the Isle of White btw - school residential trip - magic.

My meccano set.

I had a massive collection of meccano, housed in a purpose built drawer unit that mi Dad made for me.

It was the most used toy I ever had.

I passed it on to my cousin.

Just had the grandkids visit for a week, and spent some time building lego with them......but it ain't the same!

Never enough gears with Meccano was there? ambitious build thwarted for lack of them.

Owls Chick - guess what? I also had a sledge with iron runners! My Godfather made it and it was painted bright red gloss. It was probably the best sledge in Sheffield in the early '60s - only problem was it was so blxxdy heavy it killed me to haul it back up the hill! Oh - forgot to mention I also sold my Triang scooter - which would be a collectors item now!

So glad I still have the dolls (and their clothes), doll's tea service (was my Mum's), wooden dolls bed and - best of all - Teddy (now a collectors item!).

My dog on wheels!

It was a stuffed doggy on wheels with a handle at the back to push it along with and it was passed down to me by my ...oh I dont know... brother or sister or something and I remember I was small enough (2 or 3 years old) to sit on its back while I was pushed along.

As I got bigger (4 or 5 years old) I used to sit my toys on its back and push them along and around the garden and when I was six I got my nasty little hands on a knife and spent a happy hour in the summer sunshine chopping and slashing it to bits...

The second I realised that it couldnt be mended, I looked at its parts which were scattered all over the garden and cried my little eyeballs out.

I loved that bloody toy but just HAD to take it to bits to see what was inside it.

Archived