You can write to the Ministry of Defence at:

Ministry of Defence

CS(RM)2b

Bourne Avenue

Hayes

Middlesex

UB3 1RF

Telephone: 0181-573 3831 ext 334

They will search their records for a fee of £25 (as of 1999) and, if found, provide photo-copies of service records.

The majority of records of WWI were destroyed by enemy action in 1940 and those of which survived are in very poor condition having been damaged by fire and water.

If Albert ROWEN proves relevant I have information about his burial place in Walkley Cemetery.

Hugh

(Friends of Walkley Cemetery - Remembrance Tour of the Cemetery tomorrow (8/11/09) at 2pm.)

Hi Hugh , i know Albert is buried in walkley cemetary but unfortunately last time i visited i couldn,t find the grave because it was overgrown , are there any plans to clear the bottom section ?

Thanks, Hugh. I somehow still can't find the right part of the site - anyway I downloaded the documents last year so it isn't too important. Thanks anyway!.:)

I have PM'd iamwoody with an offer to send JPEGs.

Thanks hillsboro the jpegs are very interesting and just what i was looking for .

Hi Hugh , i know Albert is buried in walkley cemetary but unfortunately last time i visited i couldn,t find the grave because it was overgrown , are there any plans to clear the bottom section ?

Did we meet in the cemetery a few months ago? I remember fighting my way through the brambles to find the gravestone. That grave is still overgrown but we did clear quite a lot of graves close to its location which would make access easier.

Hugh

Did we meet in the cemetery a few months ago? I remember fighting my way through the brambles to find the gravestone. That grave is still overgrown but we did clear quite a lot of graves close to its location which would make access easier.

Hugh

Hi Hugh, no sorry we didn,t meet a few months ago but i,d be very interested to know who you did meet if it was the same gravestone they were after ? i,ll have to take another look in the cemetary to see if i can find it ,many thanks

Archived