Winter of 1947.

Leper

3rd. Feb ,63. Got a call at work mid- afternoon to say wife had given birth unexpectedly at Nether Edge Hospital. I said to my boss 'If I can leave now it will give me time to get changed'. He said ' Yes its looking pretty bad out there. Walked a mile to the bus-stop but they'd stopped running. So walked the 4 miles to the hospital (no chance to get changed first). Got to N..Edge 3 hours later within 3 mins. of closing, and burst through a tall hedge to make sure. But got stopped at the door. Wouldnt let me in, cos of the state I was in. (In my work clothes and covered in snow) I begged them to let me in and they relented. When I got to her bed, she started screaming at me, saying ' It just shows how much you think about me' . Of course she was totally unaware of the conditions.!

It was 46/47 winter and me and my mates went into Derbyshire from Heeley Station to Grindleford and walked or staggered for miles. We found an old piece of corrugated sheet and muggins jumped on it and off I went and disappeared into a snow bank. I completely lost my orientation so instead of digging out i dug in and luckily came out the other side.

In 63 I was at Catterick camp on a Foremans course and had to go out in trucks delivering coke to the farmers and help clear paths to the barns.

63 was colder but 47 there was more snow, lasted until June in parts despite it being a hot summer.

In 1947 I was 10 and remember being kept off school for 6 weeks.

The milkman, greengrocer etc (with his horse and cart) could not get up the road I lived on, my mom had a new baby so I was the gopher.

Snow was much higher than me so I walked in corridors of snow, it ws hard and compact and all the houses had their own passages of snow.

The snow on our houses was up to the bedroom windows so there was no chance of using the front door. You either walked on top of the snow and be seen or used the cleared paths which were higher than me.

I remember wet wellies slapping my bare legs as I walked and having a riing of chapped skin on each leg.

hazel

It was 46/47 winter and me and my mates went into Derbyshire from Heeley Station to Grindleford and walked or staggered for miles. We found an old piece of corrugated sheet and muggins jumped on it and off I went and disappeared into a snow bank. I completely lost my orientation so instead of digging out i dug in and luckily came out the other side.

In 63 I was at Catterick camp on a Foremans course and had to go out in trucks delivering coke to the farmers and help clear paths to the barns.

63 was colder but 47 there was more snow, lasted until June in parts despite it being a hot summer.

I seem to recall '63 not being particularly worse than previous winters in Sheffield but I think the southern half of England was, unusually, hit harder which was more of an ordeal as it was the worse in living memory.

On reflection I can't remember feeling cold but obviously I must have been as frozen as anyone else but then I see young women and men walking about with the minimum amoutn of clothing needed cover up the essential "bits and pieces" and I think, well we must have not felt the cold either.

I seem to recall '63 not being particularly worse than previous winters in Sheffield but I think the southern half of England was, unusually, hit harder which was more of an ordeal as it was the worse in living memory.

two flakes of snow hit London, and the news reports scream "Gridlock and panic as blizzard hits London".

I remember the winter of 1986/7 where the snow was up to my hips/ waist in Stocksbridge. That was a revelation, having lived mainly centrally in Sheffield!

Sadly I'm too young to have any memories of either of those bleak winters of 47 and 63, though I heard tell of lots of adventures, as were had by older friends and relatives.

two flakes of snow hit London, and the news reports scream "Gridlock and panic as blizzard hits London".

I remember the winter of 1986/7 where the snow was up to my hips/ waist in Stocksbridge. That was a revelation, having lived mainly centrally in Sheffield!

Sadly I'm too young to have any memories of either of those bleak winters of 47 and 63, though I heard tell of lots of adventures, as were had by older friends and relatives.

Nowt to be sad about! :)

Falls, re Champs Hill. My uncle always used to call it that, just wondered how it got the name, Any ideas?

Hi,

I dont know either. The only chance is to find an old-timer with a good memory or a local historian who might know.

Regards

The winter of 1946/47 was only my second, so I don't remember it directly - only from photos and my parents' accounts. I do know that whilst going to school in the 50's it seemed to snow every winter, with some years having more than others.

In Dec 62 I passed my driving test and drove from Gleadless to Chesterfield College of Technology all through that atrocious winter in my first car, a 1952 Austin Somerset. I had quite a few involuntary slides on the hard packed snow covered roads and then, in March 63 I skidded on a corner near Eckington and met a coal lorry coming the other way. Needless to say the Austin came off worse and so it was time for a change of vehicle. I'll always remember that winter if only for the fact that it taught me the hard way how to drive in icy conditions.

The winter of 1946/47 was only my second, so I don't remember it directly - only from photos and my parents' accounts. I do know that whilst going to school in the 50's it seemed to snow every winter, with some years having more than others.

In Dec 62 I passed my driving test and drove from Gleadless to Chesterfield College of Technology all through that atrocious winter in my first car, a 1952 Austin Somerset. I had quite a few involuntary slides on the hard packed snow covered roads and then, in March 63 I skidded on a corner near Eckington and met a coal lorry coming the other way. Needless to say the Austin came off worse and so it was time for a change of vehicle. I'll always remember that winter if only for the fact that it taught me the hard way how to drive in icy conditions.

I would imagine there was also a change of underwear called for at that narrow-squeak!!! Goodness me!!! :wow:

Archived