Electric bicycles?

Does anyone have one or know anything about them? I am considering getting one to commute to work as I can't drive there (nowhere to park) and the bus I use is very unreliable. I have been looking at electric bikes websites, as half my journey is uphill and I couldn't make it on a regular bike. I really want to know how much work the motor does for you when going uphill and if any models are particularly good.

theres a bloke lives up the road from us, and he has one and uses just the motor up hill, which is a pretty steep one, he doesn't bomb up but it's quicker than walking, maybe 6-7mph, I know they aren't allowed to go over 15mph, think they have a range of about 20 odd miles on a full charge,I'm thinking of betting one for going to college as it's a right pain parking my van in there car park(and it might get me a bit fitter lol)

guess it all depends on the hill, the steeper the hill the more you'd have to pedal to help the motor, think it's one of those 'how long a bit of string' things there's no set rule on it, would depend on a number of variables

Not used one but at work when I worked in the cycle dept, we did stock some cheap imported electrically assisted bikes (road legal) and some scooters (not road legal).

I know enough to advise you not to go down the cheap route...it can cost more in the long run replacing poor battery packs etc. You do right in researching first because I would say to make the purchase worthwhile, you are looking at spending a fair amount.

Also important is to keep the battery cycle going (charge/discharge) - if you don't use the bike for a while, find a way of running the motor to naturally discharge the battery then recharge it. Whilst battery life is often given in terms of number of charges, if it's not charged/discharged regularly, the battery pack will fail prematurely.

Surely the point of a bycycle is to get fit as well as a mode of transport so why electrify it? if you want a bike with umph get a motor scooter or motor bike then the fun really begins

maybe because a motor scooter or bike would require a licence to ride.......

Surely the point of a bycycle is to get fit as well as a mode of transport so why electrify it? if you want a bike with umph get a motor scooter or motor bike then the fun really begins

Problem is, cycling makes you sweat (or it should if you are doing it right). Not everyone has a job where they have showers and/or changing facilities at work. I cycle to work but I don't have a strict dress code, doesn't matter if my shirt is a little crinkled, and breathable and/or wicking outdoor wear suits the image of the company.

If someone is required to walk into the building dressed as if one has just been driven by chauffeur, then staggering in pouring with sweat from honking a hard climb doesn't always go down well...

Assisted pedalling can help somewhat

theres a bloke lives up the road from us, and he has one and uses just the motor up hill, which is a pretty steep one, he doesn't bomb up but it's quicker than walking, maybe 6-7mph, I know they aren't allowed to go over 15mph, think they have a range of about 20 odd miles on a full charge,I'm thinking of betting one for going to college as it's a right pain parking my van in there car park(and it might get me a bit fitter lol)

I think a better solution is to buy the bike you like and retrofit it with a Heinzmann power hub system.

Although it must be configured in pedal-assist mode to be road legal, and have a low wattage motor, the non road legal versions can push you along at a steady 25mph with no pedalling. Similarly the hill climbing motors (same motor different internal gearing) can pull you up steep hills at a good clip.

All this on your favourite bike, and not some ugly looking step through.

Archived