Sheffield dialect/accent

Trying to explain the Sheffield contraction of "the" to non Sheffielders is always difficult.

It's easy enough to write down, eg. "Gooin down to t' shops" but obviously that's not how you say it. It's all about how you say the bit before the t', you have to cut it short and the t' isn't actually pronounced at all. It's a sure fire way of spotting a fake Sheffielder.

this would actually be written "gooin down t'shops". The 't' replaces the to.

This is how I'd be sayin it.

Or something to that effect. to be honest a lot of it would be removed, and replaced.

Example'd be somethin like:-

Thi's only one way aat 'n that's up 't top 'o village, weer bridge is.

Well done Digsy...I read this and you sounded like a proper Yorkshire bloke!!

To be honest though, as someone else mentioned, it tends to be the older generation who speak this broadly. I'm a Sheffielder born and bred - lived here all my 21 years and I've never once said tha, thee, love or duck. However, I do drop 'the' a lot and abbreviat 'to' to t'. I also say ta instead of thanks and were instead of was sometimes. However, I am competent at writing Queen's English, I just choose not to speak it!!

While on holiday this year a Canadian heard my wife and me talking and said we had a lovely accent which I thought was great until later on the same holiday an Australian women said she couldn’t understand a word we said. :hihi:

We had one at the end of our street and it was called a snicket .

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snicket

In 21 years I've never heard the word snicket used once in Sheffield!!!

It's a gennel...pronounced Jennel

. I'd be interested to hear if you have any thoughts on this. Are Sheffielders proud of variant spellings perhaps? Should a story told by someone in the Sheffield accent/dialect be written in this way? Perhaps this is all political correctness on my part gone too far!

ctk

Having read the "original" script and the translated one I definitely found the translated one the easier to read in the Sheffield accent. Sorry catabolickid but your original just seemed wrong and very stilted.

Although I moved away from Sheffield five years ago I still have a very strong Sheffield accent and still speak with a farily strong accent (much to my colleagues amusement!).

For example the other day I was going with a colleague into a shop and just said "let's go in here and see if they've got owt" - she looked at me and said "what?" I had to translate that I meant lets look in here and see if they have anything! - Southerners' eh? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I'm at uni with people from all over....they always seem to find it amusing when I say breadcake! to them it's a cob, batch, bap, roll, bun etc!!!

Out of interest, do non-sheffielders know the meanings of these words?? I've found that they always catch people out from other cities!!

Mardy

Clarty

Murky

Having read the "original" script and the translated one I definitely found the translated one the easier to read in the Sheffield accent. Sorry catabolickid but your original just seemed wrong and very stilted.

Although I moved away from Sheffield five years ago I still have a very strong Sheffield accent and still speak with a farily strong accent (much to my colleagues amusement!).

For example the other day I was going with a colleague into a shop and just said "let's go in here and see if they've got owt" - she looked at me and said "what?" I had to translate that I meant lets look in here and see if they have anything! - Southerners' eh? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Hehehe...on someone's return from a shopping spree...."what ya got? owt or nowt??"

Catabolic. Your text needs to be altered as follows(as we spoke it 75 years ago) or you would have been regarded as very posh and sniggered at. Normly NOT normally. Weerever Not Where-ever. Weer Not where. Inter Not into. Ont reight. Ont left. Theer not There. Agean not Again. If I was in Pond st and saw a a Sheff. United fan (identified by a red and white scarf),I would ask him 'R di gon on' meaning 'How have they gone on'.Meaning 'what was the result'. My favourite one as said by so many on here is 'Who were she wee,were she by hersen.'

Trying to explain the Sheffield contraction of "the" to non Sheffielders is always difficult.

It's easy enough to write down, eg. "Gooin down to t' shops" but obviously that's not how you say it. It's all about how you say the bit before the t', you have to cut it short and the t' isn't actually pronounced at all. It's a sure fire way of spotting a fake Sheffielder.

proudly born and bred in sheffield i couldnt agree more with you,, the way i would write it down would be " am gooin downa t' shops, dus da one owt gerrin or even am gunna t' shops :hihi: so proud to be a sheffielder, the only ones who can take a barely understandable northern dialect and make it even harder to understand, little subtle changes such as thee and thar to dee and daar make it even easier to spot a fake sheffielder, hence the nickname dee daars used by close towns such as rotherham and barnsley