Sheffield dialect/accent

in the interviews I listened to I don't hear the 't' - except maybe a silent one like a glottal stop or a small gulp. But transcribed it comes out as 'On right' and 'On left', for me.

Exactly, it's just a glottal stop. As when a Cockney pronounces 'Bottle' without voicing the 'tt'.

Or when kids all over the country (inspired, no doubt, by Eastenders) pronounce 'Party' without voicing the 't'.

Exactly, it's just a glottal stop. As when a Cockney pronounces 'Bottle' without voicing the 'tt'.

Or when kids all over the country (inspired, no doubt, by Eastenders) pronounce 'Party' without voicing the 't'.

Yep that's right!

How would the OP write a glottal stop?

Yep that's right!

How would the OP write a glottal stop?

:hihi:

Now I sort of feel like I'm getting somewhere, even though in a way I've come full-circle.

When I started writing and transcribing from interviews I didn't know what to put between 'on' and 'right' in 'on right' - so I put:

on '- right

And I did have a character from London who actually said 'Let's have a bottle', which by the same rule became:

let's have a bo'-le

This got really messy as you can imagine and I took them all out... Perhaps I should've left them in. Or perhaps there's a better way of representing a glottal stop (using a standard character; so not the standard IPA symbol for it)...

ctk

Isn't it more like ... "ont right" The 't' is added to the end of the previous word? "'Ee went out tut pub". "Our kid stuck 'is 'ead threwt railings" Still not sure how you'd indicate it for people who have no idea of how Sheffeldish sounds though :)

btw, did you listen to the link I found? What did you think?

I think this is the key here. In Sheffield, "the" is abbreviated to a glottal stop, unlike in Lancashire where it's abbreviated to a t sound. However, "to" is abbreviated to t in Sheffield. So in "I'm going t' pub" the t' is an abbreviation of "to" and the word "the" is shortened to a glottal stop before the word "pub".

Also, the Sheffield accent tends to minimise stops and position vowels centrally in the mouth. That's why you get wou'n't for "wouldn't", strange diphthongs (combinations of vowel sounds) - like in skoyle (school) and doo-er (door). It also accounts for my absolute favourite: the way that the -y sound at the end of some words gets flattened to -eh. At my son's school assembly, the ritual response to the Headteacher's greeting is "Good morning Ms So-and-So, good morning ev'reh-bodeh" :-)

I guess the dilemma for the OP is an authentic rendering of the accent in the text versus readability. Emily Bronte and Irvine Walsh are both writers who have tried to be authentic in their portrayal of Yorkshire and Edinburgh accents respectively. I really enjoy reading these, but I know it puts some people off.

I grew up in Chapeltown, which sits on the borders of Sheffield, Barnsley and Rotherham, and I think that Chapeltown has a distinctly recognisable accent because of this. I agree with a previous comment that Barnsley is "broader" than Sheffield, but it would be interesting to define it further.

Great topic!