Sheffield dialect/accent

hiya reading the letters about the letter t before house was just an easier way of saying "the" surely the same as the other "t" words we always used entry as i lived in a court eg yard, what about an open yard, double entry, and i think jennel when it was used as a shortcut between the houses an entry was between houses but their bedroom was over the entry.
Obviously it must depend on what area you lived in? In Heeley/Meersbrook (which were both ex Derbyshire) the 'entry', as you say it, was called a 'passage'. AFAIK, I never heard anyone use the word 'entry' :confused: Never heard the living room called t'house either, although in Stockesbridge, I think they call it 'the living place'?

I wonder if 'snicket' is a South Sheffield (ex Derbyshire?) word for a 'green' gennel? We called the path between Meersbrook Park and the gardens of the houses on the adjoining road, a 'snicket', the Breakback, and the little lane from Broadfield Road to Abbeydale Road was called 'the snicket'. I always thought it was a corruption of "sneak it" :D

I think I'll have to leave this thread, I'm repeating myself now and everyone's ignoring me anyway! I'll leave via the snicket, I think ;)

An 'Alleyway' or 'Gennel' pronounced Jennel
Why do people keep saying this? Either I'm too old or too young for this term? A roofed (which I presume is meant by an archway?) path between houses into a yard is called a passage. An open path is a gennel. We've got a lot of passages and gennels in Woodseats and they're two different things totally.

Why do people keep saying this? Either I'm too old or too young for this term? A roofed (which I presume is meant by an archway?) path between houses into a yard is called a passage. An open path is a gennel. We've got a lot of passages and gennels in Woodseats and they're two different things totally.

That's opinion...I live in a terrace with a 'roofed' path between the houses and we call this the gennel.

Afta readin hay'f o this thread, i thought add skip it, cos hay'f on it dunt mek sence, and dunt sound newt like yorkshire slang, its a r8 lord a gobildy gook, i tell thi.

If tha wants to learn ar tu talk like that from Sheffield. Thaz got to do it r8. Cos if tha dunt, thall stand ar't a mile. Its R8 !

I agree the 2nd translation reads like it was written by a sheffielder

Good Luck :o)

Edited by sheffladowls

My OH had her first book published last year and one of the characters in it is a male model who's from just South of Bradford. He's really proud of his Yorkshire roots and talks like his grandad used to most of the time, enjoying the bafflement of the people in the fashion world when he comes out with stuff like "Ey up love, mek thi' sen useful an' gerrus a brew, there's a good lass" to some wardrobe assistant at a New York fashion shoot.

That's opinion...I live in a terrace with a 'roofed' path between the houses and we call this the gennel.

If that's so, you've all got it wrong! :D

I think it's wrong to tell people they have got it all wrong! So what if people call it snicket, genel, jennel, ginnel, alley etc? I gave up using passage as saying I was going up my grandma's passage drew sniggers from many people. :hihi: