Sheffield dialect/accent

Locals still use 'tha' 'tho' 'waint' etc.. tends to be the men however :hihi: I think the most accurate out of the ones you stated is 'tha', i know lots of people that use it.

Some words are missed out completely, however be careful.. for example t'internet.. is an abbreviation from Peter Kay the comedian so it isn't to do with Sheffield as much.

wasnt - werent

didnt - dint

wouldnt- wunt

won't - waint

and its a Jennel!!!!!!!!

Lovely explanation Iceblast ! Do you know Mel Jones?

I think it's wrong to tell people they have got it all wrong! So what if people call it snicket, genel, jennel, ginnel, alley etc? I gave up using passage as saying I was going up my grandma's passage drew sniggers from many people. :hihi:

I took my Missus up the back passage on our first date, it was her Nan's house.

Catabolic. Your text needs to be altered as follows(as we spoke it 75 years ago) or you would have been regarded as very posh and sniggered at. Normly NOT normally. Weerever Not Where-ever. Weer Not where. Inter Not into. Ont reight. Ont left. Theer not There. Agean not Again. If I was in Pond st and saw a a Sheff. United fan (identified by a red and white scarf),I would ask him 'R di gon on' meaning 'How have they gone on'.Meaning 'what was the result'. My favourite one as said by so many on here is 'Who were she wee,were she by hersen.'

hiya i would have said"oo wa shi wee,wa shi wi ersen" "arv de gon on" ar cum from sheffild an dis warr wot weed a sed oreight, tha wer reight abart tothers.

but what do you call the brick archway through a terraced row?

hiya. An entry.

just remembered something when i were a lad nobody had a letter slot in their doors, the 40s 50s the first one i recall was in '67, when we had any post in the time before '67 the postman would just put his knee to the door to open the door a bit, mind there were only bills and nobody would pinch them would they.

Edited by willybite

• 4 weeks later...
I think that the above is ok except for could not, i would be more inclined to say for example instead of ' you carn't do that' = 'tha cun't do that' but it can sound a little rude.

There is an old joke don't know if any one knows it but it goes like this;

Two gentlemen on a train travelling from London to some where up north, the train stops in Sheffield so one of the gents gets off to buy some sweets, when he gets back on the train his mate asks 'where are we' the gent replies 'I think were in China' ' What makes you think that' asks his mate, to which the gent answers 'because i have just over heard two women talking and one said to the other - whu wo shi wiy wo shi wi er sen..

( who was she with, was she by her self)

hiya in answer to your answer i say this, the words i wrote were could not, not can't do that which is different altogether if i had written can't i would have said the same as you.mine was in the past tense yours was now.

Edited by willybite