Roll your own fags

Reading the thread on different cigaretts brought to mind rolling your own.

From about 62 to 66 I used to roll my own by hand .

I used Old Holborn (sp) tobacco and liquorice papers

When we went on the uptown pub crawl Fri and Sat night I would roll about 10 ahead of time,and put them in a silver plated cigarette case,which was kept in the inside pocket of your whistle and flute.

Funny how what type of cigs you smoked had a bearing on your place on the social ladder,so to speak.

The black liquorice paper and the siver case and the totally different smell of the Old Holborn left everyone puzzled

Old Holborn was pleasantly aromatic but it used to give me a headache. Heaven knows what the tar content was.

I occasionally bought a an ounce of a 'Turkish Blend' from Sylvesters on Surrey street. In pubs you could see peoples' nostrils dilating as they caught a whiff of it :D

During the 'wawer', there was obviously a shortage of cigarets. A relative of mine would start out with a supply of ordinary tailor mades, save all the butts, and then roll another supply out of those. After he'd smoked those, once again saving the butts, he'd roll another batch. This could've gone on forever.

I never could manage to hand roll, always used a machine.

At the last attempt I used the Rizla Concept Tubes and the machine to go with them.

Tried Drum...with the same results previously reported.

Golden Virginia was my preference.

I'm back on the standard fags now.....but seriously intend to stop!

I still Old Holborn and have for years and years - for some reason the smell reminds me of Christmas and I finger roll them even though my cigs look like a worm thats just eaten an oxo cube. Theres always a bloody bulge in the middle of the cig no matter how hard I try to make them look decent.

I have a mate who uses a machine and even puts little filter tips in `em but I cant be doing with that malarky.

Archived