Do you have to have a funeral.

I've often thought about this and after attending a few funerals I've decided I wouldn't like one (the service, I mean). I'd like to just be taken straight to the crematorium and then have my ashes scattered in the places I desire (not that I'd know if they weren't!)

If they wish, my mourners are welcome to get together and have a knees up in the pub, on my behalf - I'd be happy with that! :D

Based on what I am reading here are you all saying the body goes to the crematorium in a hearse and that is the prelude to the service? Then the ashes come back to the family sometime later?

The body goes straight to crem, you don't need any service and after cremation your relatives may or may not collect you - if they don't your ashes are spread in the crem grounds...

Got it.

I, personally, wouldn't care for a service. Probably no one would show up for mine anyway. :D

Guess I'd rather people just remember the good times with me rather than cry over me.

Check what your regs are over there - but here you don't need anything but a form of transport to the crem and enough banked to pay for it...

Have to make sure you let your relatives or mates know your ultimate wishes - you may end up with a requiem mass whether you like it or not!

Check what your regs are over there - but here you don't need anything but a form of transport to the crem and enough banked to pay for it...

Have to make sure you let your relatives or mates know your ultimate wishes - you may end up with a requiem mass whether you like it or not!

Usually here when someone dies, we just contact the funeral home, they retrieve the body and it goes from there. I have made it clear to some but not my sister, who I assume would have the final say as she is my closest relative besides my kids, who aren't of legal age to handle those arrangements.

Usually here when someone dies, we just contact the funeral home, they retrieve the body and it goes from there. I have made it clear to some but not my sister, who I assume would have the final say as she is my closest relative besides my kids, who aren't of legal age to handle those arrangements.

You need to make sure she knows then - my mother had converted to another faith before her death (years before - two not connected!)but my dad still buried her in our manner... I was young then, so the idea that we didn't do what she'd asked didn't occur to me until I was older...

I suppose it really depends on what the wishes of the person were for their funeral. If it was me that would be my main consideration.

I have no problem discussing the cost of the funeral I handled in 07. The 4k+ was for a burial, The service, cars, and various other items. There are a lot of people that make a lot of money if you buy into the whole hoopla, the experience left me feeling that funerals are to death what valentines day is to love, it's a crock, but if we don't comply we look mean, cheap and less caring.