Boundary rd protest .wybourn

tonxx

hiya new poster here . does anyone remember what year the residents built a barricade on boundary rd wybourn . 2 stop bin wagons using it as a rat run 2 start dumping waste on sky edge fields . I been 2 libaries scrolling thru telegraph and star .but i need 2 scale it down 2 the year as there are thousands 2 go through . it was sometime between 1961-66 i think .just trying 2 find photos they took of us when we were kids any help appreciated .thanks.

the sheff council decided to use skyedge fields as a tip for waste disposal .the residents blocked the end of boundary rd with old furniture to stop the refuse wagons access to the fields to start tipping . anyone from the estate will know what im on about just need the year it happened .

the sheff council decided to use skyedge fields as a tip for waste disposal .the residents blocked the end of boundary rd with old furniture

So they tried to stop the tip by fly tipping at the end of their road? :rolleyes:

Was it an idiot club?

go to the local studies section in the central library and look at the microfilms from the Sheffield telegraph and star from around that date....hope this helps.

Also using whole worlds and not text speak is good, makes it much more easier to help you....:thumbsup:

yes i know em all mate ones my sister . they a bit younger than me. was a long time ago . just cant remember what year .i been to libries and wrote to sheffield star . thanks for the effort . i will keep searching . cheers mate

Hi Tonxx, I moved onto the Wybourn in 1962, and on the Boundary Rd end of the fields were pigeon coytes/huts, about 100 yds onto the field, my mate used to have one on there. I think it was around the mid 60's when they had to move them because of the councils plans in progress. So 64/66 may be about right. A couple of groups on Facebook might give you more info.

I grew up on the Wybourn and I'm Proud of it!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=29768202229#/group.php?v=wall&gid=29768202229

Memories of Sheffield and South Yorkshire

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110052603153

Hope it helps you, all the best.

Archived