Help needed with employer who has gone abroad

Hi i really need some advise on what to do.

THIS IS A LONG STORY BUT IT IS WORTH HEARING!! PLEASE READ IT AND HELP ME!!!

i recently got a job in a very small company, run by a jamaican man from his own home.I was the secratary/administrater. It was good money and good hours....BRILLIANT i thought! but it wasnt :(

It came to my first week and i was supposed to work on monday but he text me half an hour before i was supposed to start saying '' dont come in today,i am goin out so i cant let you in.i will call u when i get back.'' I didnt have a key to the house so if he wasnt there i couldnt work.

this happened quite a few times but i did manage to work some days.It came to the end of the month and i was writing the cheques for everyone to get paid (including my own cheque) and he tried to tell me i only earned £50! so i aurgued with him and he said fine give yourself £136 so i thought ok its close to the amount so fair enough,its money, ill take it so i did and the cheque went into my bank account no problem.

i went to work the following day and he tells me hes goin to jamaica until february to sort out his other business he has over there.So i was given a key and i thought GREAT! i can finaly work the hours im supposed no matter if hes there or not.but when i started i was told the girl i was replacing had left coz she was moving abroad btu i found a tape recorder and on the tape was the girl shouting at my boss about not gettin her wages so she was leaving,he had recorded it for some strange reason.i ignored this.

so the day came and he went off to jamaica,the day after was pay day and he had signed all the cheque book for me to write the pay for when he was gone.I went to work on monday and he foned me from jamaica to see how everything was and to tell me to write my own wages but no1 elses until friday. (wierd :suspect:)

i did as he said and wrote my own wages and put them into the bank.It usually takes a week for the cheque to go through so i waited and waited and found out on thrusday the cheque had bounced!

so thurday night i went to the house and found out his borther was there :o i tlked to his brother and explained wat had happened and he said ill fone him and fone u back.so i left and waited for the phone to ring. it didnt happen,so i went back and his brother was still there but i noticed thing started disapearing in the house :suspect: i talked to his brother and he foned him while i was there and he told me to giv my keys back to his brother and my work fone.so i did and i argued with him abotu my wages and eventually his brother said '' fine i will come by your house and pay u ur wages in cash''.

he didnt come and its now been 3 days he wont answer any of the office fones or his mobile. he ows me money for this month and the days i worked before the cheque bounced and from the month before.it is alot of money.

i dont have the keys anymore and the only thing that is still keeping to connected to the company is the fact that he still ows me money and i am legally on the accounts! Also he hasnt paid rent on the house in a while.

I think my boss had run off back to jamaica with the money from the company and his brother is shipping all his stuff across bit by bit and is then goin to join him.....

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME! I AM NOT THE FIRST PERSON HE HAS DONE THIS TO AND IF HE DOES COME BACK I DONT THINK ILL BE THE LAST!! I NEED THE MONEY I AM OWED.I AM NOT WORKING UNTIL FEBRUARY WHEN HE ''SUPPOSIDLY'' COMES BACK NOT TO GET PAID UNTIL THEN OR NOT AT ALL! BUT I NEED TO DO SOMETHING.

It looks like you will have to go to court if you want your pay, but you will have to balance what is owed against all the hassle and the likelihood of getting anything.

You probably realise it already, but it would have been better to hold onto the keys/phone until you had cash in your hand.

Sorry!

Hi i really need some advise on what to do.

THIS IS A LONG STORY BUT IT IS WORTH HEARING!! PLEASE READ IT AND HELP ME!!!

i recently got a job in a very small company, run by a jamaican man from his own home.I was the secratary/administrater. It was good money and good hours....BRILLIANT i thought! but it wasnt :(

It came to my first week and i was supposed to work on monday but he text me half an hour before i was supposed to start saying '' dont come in today,i am goin out so i cant let you in.i will call u when i get back.'' I didnt have a key to the house so if he wasnt there i couldnt work.

this happened quite a few times but i did manage to work some days.It came to the end of the month and i was writing the cheques for everyone to get paid (including my own cheque) and he tried to tell me i only earned £50! so i aurgued with him and he said fine give yourself £136 so i thought ok its close to the amount so fair enough,its money, ill take it so i did and the cheque went into my bank account no problem.

i went to work the following day and he tells me hes goin to jamaica until february to sort out his other business he has over there.So i was given a key and i thought GREAT! i can finaly work the hours im supposed no matter if hes there or not.but when i started i was told the girl i was replacing had left coz she was moving abroad btu i found a tape recorder and on the tape was the girl shouting at my boss about not gettin her wages so she was leaving,he had recorded it for some strange reason.i ignored this.

so the day came and he went off to jamaica,the day after was pay day and he had signed all the cheque book for me to write the pay for when he was gone.I went to work on monday and he foned me from jamaica to see how everything was and to tell me to write my own wages but no1 elses until friday. (wierd :suspect:)

i did as he said and wrote my own wages and put them into the bank.It usually takes a week for the cheque to go through so i waited and waited and found out on thrusday the cheque had bounced!

so thurday night i went to the house and found out his borther was there :o i tlked to his brother and explained wat had happened and he said ill fone him and fone u back.so i left and waited for the phone to ring. it didnt happen,so i went back and his brother was still there but i noticed thing started disapearing in the house :suspect: i talked to his brother and he foned him while i was there and he told me to giv my keys back to his brother and my work fone.so i did and i argued with him abotu my wages and eventually his brother said '' fine i will come by your house and pay u ur wages in cash''.

he didnt come and its now been 3 days he wont answer any of the office fones or his mobile. he ows me money for this month and the days i worked before the cheque bounced and from the month before.it is alot of money.

i dont have the keys anymore and the only thing that is still keeping to connected to the company is the fact that he still ows me money and i am legally on the accounts! Also he hasnt paid rent on the house in a while.

I think my boss had run off back to jamaica with the money from the company and his brother is shipping all his stuff across bit by bit and is then goin to join him.....

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME! I AM NOT THE FIRST PERSON HE HAS DONE THIS TO AND IF HE DOES COME BACK I DONT THINK ILL BE THE LAST!! I NEED THE MONEY I AM OWED.I AM NOT WORKING UNTIL FEBRUARY WHEN HE ''SUPPOSIDLY'' COMES BACK NOT TO GET PAID UNTIL THEN OR NOT AT ALL! BUT I NEED TO DO SOMETHING.

There's one born every day:hihi:. Hey , you must learn from the experience and move on. Not everyone in the big wide world is honest. Learn to be a little more cautious and I guess cynnical too.

Dear oh dear!

1. If you were the 'Secretary/Administrator' surely you would have had access to the banking within the company. One look on either internet banking or the last bank statement would have told you there was no money in the bank so your cheque's gonna bounce.

2. Does his landlord know he's running a dodgy business from rented accommodation?

3. However did you fall for this? The first time he didn't pay me the full whack would be the last time I set foot in the place.

You're now left out of pocket for a hell of a lot more that you would have been had you walked early doors.

Personally, I don't reckon you've got a cat in hells chance of getting anything back - but you never know, give it a try.

Good luck

Archived