Sheffield Children's Hospital

danensis

I was first admitted to the Sheffield Children's Hospital on 15th December 1955, when I was five years old. I was on ward 8, ruled over by Sister Petty. Petty by name and petty by nature, she ruled the ward with a rod of iron. Because we lived in Doncaster my parents had to use "Long Distance Visiting" - an hour in the week, and an hour at weekends.

I was in over Christmas, but because of the operation I'd had there was a bandage around my head and under my chin, and it kept slipping down over my eyes and I couldn't see what was going on. At one stage there was a clown and a juggler trying to cheer us up - I guess they were doing their best.

The next time I went to the hospital, Ward 8 had closed, to be replaced by an operating theatre, and I was installed on Ward 2. It couldn't have been more different. The Ward Sister was Sister Jamson, and she remained a good friend until her death many years later. I also found that just down the corridor was the telephone exchange, with its keyboard full of interesting looking cords and plugs. The operator, Mrs Blinco, invited me in, and I soon became an adept operator, occasionally phoning the ward to see how I was progressing. Again we kept in touch with Mrs Blinco for many years.

The porters were another source of amusement and entertainment for bored kids. The only name I can remember is "Peter the porter", but there were several others.

Ward 2 was opposite the burns ward, and seriously injured children were often brought in, and at one time I was sharing a side room with a tiny baby in an incubator, who had been scalded because someone had wrapped it in a blanket with a hot water bottle, and the bottle had leaked.

I also spent some time on Ward 4, as the Professor at the University wanted to study the way I was developing.

All in all I missed two years of schooling through being in hospital, but I soon caught up when I was back in the junior school.

John

My sister was also there over Christmas - she said it was the best Christmas she ever had. One of the junior doctors got dressed up as Father Christmas in an outfit made from red blankets and cotton wool. He went from ward to ward saying "Ho, Ho, Ho - what have I got in my sack for you, eh?"..:) The ward was run by Sister Irene Jamson - as danensis wrote she was a lovely person.

i was in the childrens hospital at christmas time in the late 50's but cant recall the ward sisters name ,i do remember the nurses coming round at night with small lanterns and singing christmas carols ,they gave me a david nixon magic set and a water pistol of all things

it was a cowboy pistol and was bright orange,i shot the lord mayor when he came to visit :hihi:

Both my children and two of my grandsons were treated in the Childrens Hospital for either serious head injuries or surgery. The staff were absolutely fantastic and where totally commited to the job they do. No amountm of praise could go anywhere enough to say thank you for their dedication.

i am proud to know that Sheffield is the only hospital in yorkshire that is commited to the care of our children not only for us but for any child where ever they are who need treatment whenever the hospital is able cto provide.

May the White Rose Of Yorkshire flourish forever along with lesser other attractive flowers.

In the middle of the ward was a huge wooden fixture, with cupboards in it, containing hundreds of soft toys. We found that if the toys were removed, you could actually crawl in one side of the fixture and emerge at the other side. It used to drive the nurses mad when they were trying to find you to give you medicine.

One night we all made child-size lumps in the beds with soft toys and then went and hid in the annexe. The nurse didn't half get a surprise when she came round with the medicines.

John

I was in the Childrens in 1949 after road accident for almost five months. Th visiting was inhumane, one parent at a time on Sundays only, and then o9nly for an hour. The nurses used to stand round Sisters desk to see who was to go home that day, I longed for it to be my turn! The nurses would stand in a semi circle with arms folded behind thier backs. I can remember going into the theatre and having a mask over my nose and ether 'dropped' into it. I broke both legs in the accident and as I was learning to walk again I slipped and broke my left leg again!! I can remeber having a caliper on my left leg, they didn't bend in those days, it didn't stop me doing much. I had my left shoe adapted to take the appliance, it rubbed the top of my leg and left heel, I have the scars 60 years later. I am told I would ahve been an inch or so taller had it not been for the accident, very useful, I am only five -three! All those years ago and I still can recall almost everything about that day!

I was in the childrens when i was around 7/8 for around16 weeks,i remember a nurse called wild who would regulaly smack us kids if we were naughty.

I was on a ward with the bay windows overlooking the botanical gardens,(I believe its the dining rooms now)i remember my mom used to be a canvasser and would call at the hospital with her boss and workmates after work ,they once borrowed a big pole from the botanical gardens and passed me chocolate pennies through the bay window,there was hell to pay with (miss wild ) again who smacked my face,i remember when visiting was over i used to scream after my mom and dad whilst they were stood at the bus stop,my dad went home crying everynight .

The other nurses were lovely though and would always give us a cuddle when our parents had gone,i remember i was on the ward with the kids who had spina bifida with enlarged heads,those poor kids,I once had to count on a piece of paper how many times one of the kids had a kind of seizure for the doctors,can you imagine that.

I remember my mom was in hospital at the same time as me so my dad could only visit every other day so my aunt used to come bring me some sweets and grapes,sit and eat them all then go home lol.I had a skin problem and had to go into the cellars and sit in a bath in just my knickers ,with goggles on under a ultra violet lamp,it was bloody freezing,I was a very unhappy little girl during my time at the childrens.

I was in the Childrens Hospital r 3 months in 63, and we had a teacher used to come in and make sure we did have some education. With daily injections the Kidney bowl will live with me for ever.

While I was there there was a boy who had heart surgery and was in a private room, I used to visit him every day. We did keep in contact after the hospital, but as always it stopped. His name if I remember was Ronald Hay.

From the age of 25 I have always sent donations to the hospital, and when I retun bak to Sheffield I leave a few tins of chocks and sweeties for the Nurses.

What a first class hospital

Because of some strange rule, my sister wasn't allowed to visit with my parents, and had to stay outside. However the garden outside Ward 2 had some railings at one end, and my sister came up to them to talk to me. She pressed her face against the railings, and when she stood back she had two vertical black lines down her cheeks from the soot.

Sheffield's a lot cleaner these days.

At the other end of the garden was the mortuary. We used to dare each other to go in there when no-one was about. There was also a boiler house, with enormous self-stokers - again the boilerman used to let us go in and have a look round - the elf and safe tea would never allow it these days.

John

Archived