What's High Green like?

I have a flat accross from the Fosters and have never had any trouble when I lived there. I find it very quiet. I have a car with a soft top (kept on the road) that has never been touched and regulary walked home from the pub at night and have never felt threatened.

Plus the Fosters is getting knocked down and the whole area is being redeveloped.

As others have said... High Green is not perfect, but there are much worse areas of Sheffield.

• 8 months later...

I own a few homes in High Green, to rent. It's a great place, however the council seem he'll bent on moving in one asbo family after another. It's like the council have some sort of vendetta against the place. I've had to beef up security on the homes I own, however no break ins in almost 26 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Funny thread ..I'd say 'these days' the Chap/High Green border is between and after the Barrel pub and Staindrop Lodge.

Altho' before the Wortley U.D./R.D. Council housing estate was built down School rd Worral rd etc most of that area Was classed as Chapeltown ..

Centre of High green is top of Wortley Rd (formerly Rotherham Rd).

Any where north of Ecclesfield is Barnsley imho. Chap and High Greeners Stocksbridgers etc even talk like Barnsley folk.. it's not really Sheffield tbh.. )

Thompson Hill and that part of High Green is fairly nice.. like most places up North, High Green's gradually declined since the 1980s, bus service has gone down hill, shops closed,pubs closed, schools closed fosters flat is no more..

But as for housing probably next door Hoyland Nether and Kimberworth Area are cheaper than High Green, Chap, Burncross these days .. hth

Edited by WestTinsley

I always thought high green was a decent place to live from what you are saying on here it's not so good still got to be better than some places in sheff

Did the artic monkeys come from high green

Edited by lien1

• 2 years later...

It's fantastic in High Green. We love living here. Such a great community vibe, lovely schools, local post office, butchers, doctors, local shop and farm shop. The access to the M1 is excellent and it's only 10 mins to. Meadow Hall. Its a decent run into the town centre for commuting too. 

Edited by Highgreener

• 10 months later...

I know for this most part this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if things have changed since the majority of this discussion took place? A lot of the post was talking about the Fosters Flats being demolished which I know happed years ago now!

I grew up on the estate behind High Green Primary and have such fond memories, the most trouble we ever really had was people being loud coming down the genel next to the house at night - so pretty much nothing! My parents lived there for around 15 years (the longest they've ever lived anywhere)

• 1 year later...