Speed Awareness Courses (part whatever)

Leper

I recently attended a speed awareness course because after 45 years with a clean driving licence and I wanted to keep a clean licence which would affect my insurance cost at the end of the day.

With the best intention in the world to abide by the speed limits, I find I get uptight and frustrated by all the people who overtake me at not the best time to do it.

Does anyone honestly say that they never speed when there are speed restrictions and hope they never get caught, am I the only sinner?.

• 1 month later...

The number of drivers who actually never break the speed limit is probably fairly tiny - unless they always use cruise control to limit the speed for them.

Still, it shouldn't be too hard to have a good enough sense of speed that in, say, a 40 zone, you might wander up to 42 but no higher. If you're doing 50+ in a 40 zone and you aren't aware of it, you damn well should be.

I recently attended a speed awareness course because after 45 years with a clean driving licence and I wanted to keep a clean licence which would affect my insurance cost at the end of the day.

With the best intention in the world to abide by the speed limits, I find I get uptight and frustrated by all the people who overtake me at not the best time to do it.

Does anyone honestly say that they never speed when there are speed restrictions and hope they never get caught, am I the only sinner?.

The problem is that many speed limits have now been reduced much lower than the design speeds of the roads to aid conjestion buildup which along with saving the planet from imminent destuction will be the reasons given for us to pay to use the roads in the next elected term.

Unfortunatly speed is an easy target to make money from if only it had a bearing on the real causes of accidents.Not only is it NOT the cause of most accidents it is actually having a knock on effect of causing drivers to have bad attitude towards others that IS causing accidents and more serious ones than a few miles an hour ever did.

Unless you are only a couple of miles an hour over the speed limit you dont qualify for the courses,so the ones that really need it dont benefit but of course they doubled their money extracted from you.

The worst offences are committed WITHIN the speed limits.Of course we can all believe if there was no speeders there would be no accidents,we all know that is total tosh,but with millions of ££££ involved no one is going to admit that,with the exception of Swindon council who refuse to play the game.

It slows down journey time (assuming people could ever drive consistently at the old speed limit), but it does not increase congestion. As long as traffic is still moving, congestion will not increase.

I really cant be bothered with your crap today! If traffic is slowed then it takes longer to get from a -b of course you will tell us how making vehicles be on the roads longer helps us all get home sooner and relieves conjestion :)

I really cant be bothered with your crap today! If traffic is slowed then it takes longer to get from a -b of course you will tell us how making vehicles be on the roads longer helps us all get home sooner and relieves conjestion :)

You're confusing two different issues. Congestion is about traffic being stationary and causing a problem. Changing a speed limit from 40 to 50, or from 50 to 40, does not cause that to happen; traffic can still move.

You're confusing two different issues. Congestion is about traffic being stationary and causing a problem. Changing a speed limit from 40 to 50, or from 50 to 40, does not cause that to happen; traffic can still move.

Stop talking crap.

Archived