Speed Awareness Courses (part whatever)

Leper

I recently attended a speed awareness course because after 45 years with a clean driving licence and I wanted to keep a clean licence which would affect my insurance cost at the end of the day.

I got 3 points for speeding on the motorway with no offer of a course. Didn't make my insurance dearer though, but I wonder what the criteria is for being offered the course?

I would suggest that doing 90 on the M1 is safer than doing 33 outside a school at 3:15, but one is legal and the other isn't.

I've been on one of these courses, they are not boring, infact they are quite fun and as said keeps those points off your license, however you are only offered this chance in a three year period.

I'd like to bet that the only drivers out there who never break the speed limit are the ones who have a driving license but don't drive a car ;)

As I said earlier, as a license holder from 1959 and thinking I was a fairly good driver I realised how much had changed in the Highway Code. When I passed my test there where about 30 pages in the HC, now it is almost a novel. I still thought that flashing your headlights your headlights to an oncoming car meant "come on, I will give you right of way", when what it means is " warning I am here, beware I could have right of way".

It might be time for people to check up on the "whys and wherefors " of driving. The Highway Code is advise to drivers and not a law but it is, in a sense, the bible for police to judge us all as a reference document.

I recently attended a speed awareness course because after 45 years with a clean driving licence and I wanted to keep a clean licence which would affect my insurance cost at the end of the day.

With the best intention in the world to abide by the speed limits, I find I get uptight and frustrated by all the people who overtake me at not the best time to do it.

Does anyone honestly say that they never speed when there are speed restrictions and hope they never get caught, am I the only sinner?.

I never speed unless by accident, like when the speed limit keeps changing up and down like a whore`s drawers and you miss one of the signs.

I have to say I`m deeply cynical about this whole thing, you know the people who say reducing speeding is about "education not prosecution".

On the odd occasion that I`ve had a chance to point out to a driver that they`ve been speeding or gone through a red light or whatever their reaction is ALWAYS extreme arrogance and anger. Not once has any driver I`ve ever come across admitted they`re in the wrong and apologised.

Sorry, I`d love to be proved wrong, but in my experience the only way to prevent speeding (or red light jumping or any of that selfish arrogant driving) is cameras and then prosecution.

I got 3 points for speeding on the motorway with no offer of a course. Didn't make my insurance dearer though, but I wonder what the criteria is for being offered the course?

I think if the driver is only a little over the limit, they give them the option of the course. I believe, don't quote me.

Archived