Does anybody remember donkey stone?

GREENGINGER

You're right! I think the 'posh' ones used White Cardinal on the edges of the steps and Red Cardinal on the stone window sills. It brings back some lovely memories of my mum, but like you say, who could be bothered to use it today?

I think the white edged on the steps was to do with the poor light. Especially during the blackouts. A trip to the "lavvy" could be a dangerous business, it was easy to trip over the step when you came back in pitch darkness.

Or when returning from the pub in a an inebriated state (thats posh for P****d.)

The rag and bone men used to shout 'Donkey Stone for rags' when I was a lad.

'Donkey stone for old rags' was an expression used by a friend of mine 50+ years ago but I never heard tham shout it in the streets. We did have doorsteps in Crosspool but whitening wasn't prevalent on our road.

just as a thought,remenber tub and rubbing board for washing? over here the older peope still use them, the difference being here they are a oblong shape with arubbing board inset,all made of stone,what a lovely place to live lol

just as a thought,remenber tub and rubbing board for washing? over here the older peope still use them, the difference being here they are a oblong shape with arubbing board inset,all made of stone,what a lovely place to live lol

Our wash board was made of "Glass" in a wooden frame with legs on. It used to go in the boiler which was a round corugated barrel. My dad would put a gas ring under it and light it. Them mum would get the dolly posher out and leave me to do the poshing.

As a kid in the early 60's I used to use the washboard as skiffle board and play along to Lonnie Donegon. Then we went to "wiggys" and got a proper machine. So they languished in the outhouse, lonely and forlorn.

Our wash board was made of "Glass" in a wooden frame with legs on. It used to go in the boiler which was a round corugated barrel. My dad would put a gas ring under it and light it. Them mum would get the dolly posher out and leave me to do the poshing.

As a kid in the early 60's I used to use the washboard as skiffle board and play along to Lonnie Donegon. Then we went to "wiggys" and got a proper machine. So they languished in the outhouse, lonely and forlorn.

(my bold) and then, as my dad would say, you "gev it sum posh!"

We still have mothers old rubbing board made of galvanised steel which preceded the glass type.

These rubbing boards became an integral part of the 'Skiffle Music' Scene where the player put thimbles on the fingers to create more noise.

I still have my mothers but she did cut the bottoms off the legs so that she could use it in the sink.

Archived