Fireboat 'Alpha'

Tellina

I wonder if anyone has details of the fireboat 'Alpha' which served in Sheffield in World War 2? We have a couple of pictures in the family album of my father aboard of her in 1940. I imagine she was busy during the Blitz!

Thanks Pete

Yes I have got the right Sheffield! I was born in Hathersage and lived in Sheffield until the mid 1950s!

My dad was in the city police and Fire Service from about 1938 until he joined RAF in 1942. He returned to Sheffield in 1946 and was in the fire service until mid 1950s when he moved to Beverley on promotion.

The pictures show what looks to be a converted clinker built motor boat of about 25 foot length with at least one monitor on top of the cabin roof. The boat looks to be moored in a canal basin. One of the crew seems to be Eric Searston who went on to be Chief Fire Officer East Riding County.

I have a very vague memory of my dad saying that he was involved in converting the boat 'in house' since he had served his time as a joiner before joining the brigade. I 'm hoping someone may know the origins of the boat and it's length of service etc.

I've just looked on http://www.picturesheffield.com and they have a picture of a

fire boat entitled Firemen with the Fire Tender at the Canal Basin but the steering position and controls look a bit different to Alpha in our picture.

Interesting!

Well, as we say in Sheffield "I'll go t'foot of our stairs". How interesting.

I suppose as the canal went straight through the industrial heart of Sheffield, it was important to have this sort of thing. It all so had a reliable supply of water.

I hope someone can shed some light on this little know part ofour history. Can you post a link to the picture?

My dad was a volunteer in the Auxilliary Fire Service during the war as well as a miner. He was based at Kiveton Colliery. He joined the Police in 1953.

Can't work out how to upload an image file. Have looked in FAQ but the 'Manage Attachments button' they talk about isn't showing!

Will follow up tomorrow when i'm brighter!!!

You cant upload to the forum, except in the Photographic Group's section.

Get a photobucket account (free) and just post the link to the uploaded photo on the forum. Let me know if you need help.

http://photobucket.com/

Archived