What's the best way to track down a book?

JOGI

Although i'm in my 80's, i'm now getting more time for reading books(having been a 24/7 carer. For instance, i'd like to read up on the Cuban crisis/JFK. Do I just go the Central Library and look in the C section or is there a more sophisticated modern way of tracking books down. This is not just a one off as I would like to catch up on my lost years. Would appreciate any help.Thanks

Hi Jogi,

The computer sitting in front of you is probably the quickest way of sourcing information about books.

Using a search engine like Google or Ask.com you'd simply type in "Cuban Missile crisis" and you'll get lots of hits.

The Wikipedia on-line encyclopaedia is generally near the top. Whilst the academics sometimes question the authority of the articles they nevertheless give a good overview and the sources used are usually credited towards the end of the article.

For example here is the Wikipedia entry for The Cuban missile crisis (wiki)

One of the sources is Robert Kennedy's book Thirteen days which, in my opinion, is one of the better accounts, but don't just take my word for it, go to Amazon.co.uk and you can read several reviews to gauge if this is the sort of information you are looking for. Here are the Thirteen days reviews

Again, if you look further down the page Amazon will recommend books of a similar genre, another one that comes up is Reflections on the Cuban missile crisis which is probably a little more comprehensive as it utilises Russian sources and doesn't concentrate on the American war room like Robert Kennedy's book.

If you make a note of the titles / authors then ask your local librarian to get them in for you, you can even do this online now. See the Sheffield Online Library catalogue - you have to register to reserve them but it is easy enough to do.

If you are interested in reading about JFK's assassination the one book I can highly recommend is "Case Closed" by Gerald Posner - This book really does sort the wheat from the chaff and is an excellent example of how factual books should be written - clear, lucid and informative.

I hope some of the above proves helpful; does anyone else have any other suggestions?

HI mntaspook. Thanks very much for your very comprehensive reply. This gives me a good start and I will adopt this procedure. Have made a note of the books you mention and will follow them up.It seems they are just what I'm looking for. Regards.

Hi Mantaspook. Thanks again for your info. Sorry if the following is irrelevant but must mention 2 books that I've just read. The 1st. being Vulcan 607, the impossible logistics involved in bombing Port Stanley airfield in the Falklands.

The other 'The Long Walk'. The story of 7 escapees from a Siberian death camp, and their 5,000 mile walk to freedom, via Mongolia, Tibet and India. Only 3 made it. Absolutely rivetting. Really looking forward to reading more good books.

Thanks for the book recommendations; I'll certainly keep an eye out for 'The Long Walk'

I've already read 'Vulcan 607' - I should just explain that I'm a bit of an aviation enthusiast so I ordered that one on the day it was published.

It’s a fascinating true tale but I thought the book was disappointing, the writing style was very stilted and I lost interest two thirds through, there was virtually no analysis about what the raids achieved, (effectively one bomb caught the edge of the runway) and the "we'll all muddle though with a stiff upper lip" routine got a little tiresome.

The main value of the book was to demonstrate how inept the 'powers that be' keep the armed forces short of funding so everything is held together with string & sticky tape - for instance the RAF had to scour scrap yards for refuelling probes, drill the concrete out of them and rely on them on a perilous long range flight that, militarily, achieved very little.

By contrast, 'Sea Harrier over the Falklands' by Sharkey Ward is a lot more exciting & informative. There is also a very interesting section on the cost and effectiveness of the Vulcan missions and how the damage caused could probably have been achieved with the Sea Harriers at a fraction of the cost.

Commander Ward is one hell of a character, he leans heavily towards the gung-ho maverick type, fighting British bureaucracy as well as the enemy, but that aside, he does a very presentable job and tells it straight.

'Hostile Skies' by David Morgan is also worth a read, it is more measured than Ward's account but gives a good insight into what it was like to be a Sea Harrier pilot during the conflict.

Hi Mantaspook. Youre putting some good stuff out. Glad that you share the same interest in aviation. My 2 years in the RAF at Waddington and Marham in 46-48, sparked an everlasting interest. Been lucky in the last year to have had the time to visit 4 aircraft museums. Was exceptionally lucky on 2 of my visits (very slack days, so got V.I.P treatment from an ex Spitfire pilot showing me a reclaimed Wellington from Loch Ness and another seating me at the controls of a Jump-Jet.). To get back on topic, I'd love to read of the very early pioneering days and in particular Bleriot's first cross Channel flight.

• 4 weeks later...

I bet Waddington in '46 was bloomin' cold. I've been to a few air shows there, particularly memorable was the last Vulcan Scramble, when four B2's blasted into the air for the last time. The very last Vulcan let the other three clear the end of the runway then hit the afterburners and shot down the runway like a scalded cat, the pilot held it down as long as he dared then yanked it airborne and put on an extraordinary degree of bank - we thought he was going to roll it - so did the station commander who was hissing threats through his clenched teeth, according to my brother in law who was stood next to him at the time.

In the end the pilot came to his senses, perhaps he realised he didn't have enough height & he returned to level, a shame he didn't roll it like Beaumaont did in the 50s, that would have been quite a sight.

I've also been to Marham with the ATC, unfortunately the RAF wouldn't let us near the Victors of 57 squadron because there was a full blown TACEVAL exercise in progress, I got to sit in the pilots seat of Valiant though.

Right, back on thread, I've had a look around and apart from the rather expensive, out of print Bleriot in Britain book there doesn't seem to be an official biography of Monsieur Bleriot.

Some useful stuff on Wiki, of course, including a link to a PDF Document - which gives an account of Bleriot's cross channel flight.

I'm at the other end of the altitude scale at the moment and am currently reading

Flight - My life in Mission Control by Chris Kraft and

Failure is not an option by Gene Kranz - both about the American space program.

Top tip: Don't drink wine whilst browsing Amazon.com, especially when the 1-click ordering is turned on!

Archived