Optional ID cards on the way - resist

Ju-Ju

The following link (don't know if it will work, wasn't sure how to do it - Help!) is about optional ID cards coming to Manchester.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20091116/tuk-manchester-is-first-to-get-id-cards-6323e80.html

I'm not sure the home office junior minister has her facts right - she seems to be suggesting that there is no differerence between an ID card and a passport. I don't remember having to give my fingerprints when I got a passport and I am unaware that this info is held on a database anywhere? Has the junior minister got her facts wrong? Does she need retraining? Of is it me:huh:

I've already got a driving licence and a passport, both of which are ID cards. If would be nice to combine these, put in a credit card and throw in some biometric safeguards like fingerprint or iris checks. Would make things easier.

Brilliant ID for a criminal, they only have to get one bit of plastic and you're really screwed.

What problem is this massively expensive ID card fiasco supposed to solve? If it doesn't solve a well defined problem then I don't want one.

I have lots of ID. If I could get rid of the others and just have one then it may be an option but until foreign countries accept the ID card as a passport or the Police accept it as a drivbing licence then I don't see the point.

As Cyclone says... what problem is it fixing?

Archived