Optional ID cards on the way - resist

Ju-Ju

One secure form, that can then be lost in one easy move.

One central database, that can then be universally wrong, or worse, universally hacked.

The ID card is a solution for which the politicians have desperately been looking for a problem. A passport is already universally acceptable as a form of ID. How does having to pay for an extra bit of plastic and having the government centralise a whole bunch of your personal information provide you with any value (oh and charging you £90 for the privilege).

Papers please citizen.

WOW. I can't believe you guys have been so liberal. It's brilliant. If it's a biometric card with all the relevant data and can do away with all the other nonsense, it'd be brilliant :)

I was part of the Government team working on the Health Service National Data System and I've seen the hatred the public had for that (well, the hatred the Daily Mail told people they had).

WOW. I can't believe you guys have been so liberal. It's brilliant. If it's a biometric card with all the relevant data and can do away with all the other nonsense, it'd be brilliant :)

QUOTE]

Bit surprised that there are so many posts in favour of ID cards. Not a fan myself. Can't shake off the feeling that they take us one step closer to something I won't like - coming, as they do, after so many other encroachments of our civil liberties. I only carry my passport when I go abroad on holiday, I never carry my driving licence (perhaps I should) and I don't carry any other ID on a regular basis - just have a debit card but that's not ID. My bank details etc have already been appropriated, when the child benefit database file was mislaid, dread to think if the whole lot went awal.

I've already got a driving licence and a passport, both of which are ID cards. If would be nice to combine these, put in a credit card and throw in some biometric safeguards like fingerprint or iris checks. Would make things easier.

A plastic card is easy to print. PC World sold suitable printers til someone leaned on them.

The chip on the UK ID card was copied in 12 minutes of trying!

So to be vaguely "secure", an electronic check is needed against the central database. And each time, it leaves a permanent record of that check for hundreds of thousands of petty officials to read and draw conclusions.

It makes it easier and more convenient to subject yourself to lifelong surveillance.

I won't be giving away my privacy so easily.

I was part of the Government team working on the Health Service National Data System and I've seen the hatred the public had for that (well, the hatred the Daily Mail told people they had).

as everybody else says having EVERYTHING on one database / piece of plastic is completely stupid.makes it a 1000 times easier to steal your identity and as identity theft is ont he rise and with the war on terror, the stakes for having your identity stolen is rising.

NOTHING is 100% secure, no matter what they say, and looking at the fiascos of other government computer systems......itll be far less than 100% secure

thats before you go into the whole big brother thing

The ID card is a solution for which the politicians have desperately been looking for a problem.

Hah quite.

First it was "it'll save us from the terrorists". Then they pandered to base fears by claiming it would keep out the immigrants. All nonsense.

Now they're reduced to desperately claiming their plastic white elephants will be handy for getting into night clubs!

Yeah - only because they'll force club owners to see and take a copy of ID for everyone who wants to go in! Treating everyone as a criminal again - how unpleasant!

And you don't even need to waste £30 (going up to £60) for that. You can get a CitizenCard for a tenner.

Archived