Optional ID cards on the way - resist

Ju-Ju

Its about time there was some form of nationally recognized, government endorsed/official ID cards, for someone like me who has no passport, no driving license (other than an out dated provisional (the photo has expired :()) etc, its hard to prove who I am when people ask, because lots of places don't accept birth certificates..

I'll certainly be getting one!

well you can apply but the IPS recommends you don't

Identity cards

The Government has stated in the Coalition Agreement that it will cancel Identity Cards and the National Identity Register. We will announce in due course how this will be achieved. Applications can continue to be made for ID cards but we would advise anyone thinking of applying to wait for further announcements.

Until Parliament agrees otherwise, identity cards remain valid and as such can still be used as an identity document and for travel within Europe. We will update you with further information as soon as we have it.

my underlining

so what other options have you got ?

get a passport ? yes I know they are expensive, the price started rising around the same time the ID card act hit the statutes and ID card are heavily subsidised from somewhere, possibly from passports possibly not, however this was certainly one of the thoughts at the time

failing that get a new provisional license and keep it renewed, renewal costs £20 once every ten years

or if it's just age verification you want try these

Pass, ValidateUK, Citizencard

they are all government approved, nationally recognised, prove who you are as well as how old you are and are a lot cheaper than the ID card

A PASS accredited proof-of-age card will have the following:

• Date of birth
  • Full name
  • A passport standard photograph
  • An image of the holder's signature
  • A PASS hologram

if that's all you need one of these would do

there's no need for a government card with a huge database behind it tracking every time the card is used

Its about time there was some form of nationally recognized, government endorsed/official ID cards, for someone like me who has no passport, no driving license (other than an out dated provisional (the photo has expired :()) etc, its hard to prove who I am when people ask, because lots of places don't accept birth certificates..

I'll certainly be getting one!

Why not just get a passport? There are numerous ways to prove your identity, without having all your actions recorded in a massive central government database, or encouraging a scheme which is likely to be made compulsory, leading to the inevitable 'papers please' questions.

It doesn't look like you will be getting an id card, the current government has promised to scrap the scheme.

• 2 weeks later...
It's been announced today that even though the ID scheme is being scrapped, the gullible mugs who paid £30 to buy one won't get a refund! Serves 'em right!

Haha, my personal favourite was the idiot interviewed on the bbc who thought they were a good idea because he would only need one card instead of a passport and driving licence...:loopy:

a) not that big a problem carrying two small objects occasionally

b) the card was in addition to not instead of as it would only allow european travel and was not a driving licence making it completely pointless to most people

:hihi::hihi:

for anyone who actually has an ID card and uses it for the purchase of age restricted goods and are wondering what to do when the card is no longer valid

well according to an article in the Morning Advertiser (http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/87221) you can have a CitizenCard http://www.citizencard.com/, government approved, nationally recognised proof of age card

and as long as you apply before July 31st, it's absolutely free

link to the PDF referred to in the Morning Advertiser article - http://www.citizencard.com/ccappform.pdf

Archived