Sheffield WWII Bombing Sites

Owls Magic

can anybody please tell me where in sheffield got bombed during the 2nd world war, as when i was at school i never learnt about it, i am really interested in it and only know of the bridge in the wicker been bombed

also if anyone has any pictures would you please add them, i would be really greatfull.

Several books have been written on the bombing of Sheffield, such as Mary Walton's "Raiders Over Sheffield", available via Amazon. There is also a book by Paul License and one by Alistair Lofthouse. A few photos are here, also there are some on the www.picturesheffield.com website - look under "Bomb_Sites".

can anybody please tell me where in sheffield got bombed during the 2nd world war, as when i was at school i never learnt about it, i am really interested in it and only know of the bridge in the wicker been bombed

also if anyone has any pictures would you please add them, i would be really greatfull.

This link Should be helpful, there is plenty of info.

http://www.chrishobbs.com/marples1940.htm

One stick of bombsfell on and around St Philips church, and scored a direct hit on my fathers 18 month old Morris 8 which was parked at the bottom of Henry St. The engine (peppered with shrapnel) ended up in someone's outside toilet and a mudguard wrapped itself round a chimney stack. Of course, the church was a write-off.

In Lower Walkley, (mostly demolished in 1971), I remember there were the odd gaps in the houses where bombs had fallen. I think a parachute bomb landed in Whitehouse lane.

Archived