Old pub across from Wilkinsons

terryh

Quicksilver occupies Nos. 25-27 Haymarket (see here), the left-hand, half-timbered section of it being part of what was the Old No 12, according to an old map I've found. This occupied Nos. 23-25 before it moved round the corner on to Exchange Street - it became part of the Berni Inn group of steak houses. But it seems the OP was referring to the Brunswick which was further up Haymarket.

No, not that I can remember, but the pub which was at the top of Commercial Street did - just round the corner from Fitzalan square, opposite where the Supertram stop is now.

Can't remember the name of that pub just at the moment - it had a snooker room with a full size snooker table.

Pub was the Kings Arms, I used to catch the 95 bus to Walkley from there in the late 60's early 70's. Went in a couple of times, a pub of character and clientele to match.

Here's a photo of the Brunswick; it was just below the corner of King Street. At one time, the "Old No 12" was either on the same site or nearby, but that was before my time, honest it was...:)

Brings back memories,good pints of Whitbread then up to city hall for Wishbone Ash.

Brings back memories,good pints of Whitbread then up to city hall for Wishbone Ash.

hiya just reading the letters today and it came to me a book i read some while ago it was called A pub on every corner. it mentioned the pubs years ago before my time i might add, well i have a sheffield street directory for 1896,and looking through it, at the time there were in sheffield, 29 brewers,571 beer retailers, and 626 beerhouses, this was not counting hotels. don't know the difference between retailers and beer houses but they were different. some brewers i remember well.

No, not that I can remember, but the pub which was at the top of Commercial Street did - just round the corner from Fitzalan square, opposite where the Supertram stop is now.

Can't remember the name of that pub just at the moment - it had a snooker room with a full size snooker table.

The marples ???

Bucannear jogged my memory nicely - Yes, it was the Kings ? - but I do believe it was The Kings Head rather than The King Arms.

The Marples was on the corner of Fitzalan Square, going up to High Street whereas we were talking of round the corner down Commercial street.

Slightly off topic, but the only other pub, I can remember with revolving doors was the dive bar at the Grand Hotel.

When you think, the city centre has become a sterile and boring place. All the places with character have gone.

Archived