Need to find out about Chittenden family

HappiDayz

Harry Chittenden

Lived in sheffield 20's 30's

Married to Eva

Had 2 children to Eva called Maureen and Ken Chittenden.

Then at some point left Eva and we believe re-married and had more children.

We know Eva died in 2002 cos we are in contact with that side of the family.

We think Harry died in early 80' late 70's

Edited by HappiDayz

Found Maureens Birth in 1932 and Kens in 1931 Mothers maiden name was Betts, but can't find Harrys marriage. .

Maureen went on to marry Ernest Ashton in Sheffield in 1950. Interestingly there is a Maureen Ashton on the 2006/7 electoral role in sheffield (although you cant view address without paying) living with an Eva Goddard ? perhaps a daughter named after her grandmother?

Hi devlin - I also found the two births but the parents were evidently HENRY A.S. Chittenden and Eva Chittenden, née Betts, who were married in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1931. So maybe Henry was known as Harry. A Henry Arthur Sydney Chittenden, born in the Thanet district on 23 February 1905, died in Sheffield in April-June 1983 - this would seem to be the person the OP is looking for.

I have the 2004 electoral roll on a CD and could PM the address of Maureen Ashton / Eva Goddard.

Edited by hillsbro

Found Maureens Birth in 1932 and Kens in 1931 Mothers maiden name was Betts, but can't find Harrys marriage. .

Maureen went on to marry Ernest Ashton in Sheffield in 1950. Interestingly there is a Maureen Ashton on the 2006/7 electoral role in sheffield (although you cant view address without paying) living with an Eva Goddard ? perhaps a daughter named after her grandmother?

maureen was Evas daughter, and lived with her in 2004.

Do you know Henrys mother and fathers name?

No - he was born after the 1901 census and I don't yet have free access to the 1911 census, but I'll see what I can do..:).It's very unlikely to be the wrong person as Chittenden (a Kent/East Sussex surname) is so rare in Sheffield - for example there were no Chittendens in Sheffield in 1901.

No - he was born after the 1901 census and I don't yet have free access to the 1911 census, but I'll see what I can do..:).It's very unlikely to be the wrong person as Chittenden (a Kent/East Sussex surname) is so rare in Sheffield - for example there were no Chittendens in Sheffield in 1901.

Your right it is probably the same person, because i think Harry was commonly used for Henry.

I have Harrys parents as Imogen and William George Chittenden and we know William died in the 1st world war, so there should be some record in the war books or whatever they are called. William George Chittenden was born in ramsgate which is in Thanet, so I wonder if imogen was a Yorkshire girl? Then had harry in ramsgate. But then moved back to Sheffield?

Im not very good at stuff like this so your help is very much appreciated.

Edited by HappiDayz

I couldn't find a William George Chittenden who died in the First World War, but knowing his wife's name was Imogen I checked early 1900s marriages. I found an Edward George Chittenden who married Imogene Louisa Tucker in Thanet in Oct-Dec 1902. Edward was then easily found in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission register - here is the certificate. As you see, Imogene remarried; this was in Oct-Dec 1918 to Sidney Hall, in the Southwark district, and they moved to Industry Street, Walkley, evidently taking Henry with them. I couldn't find Imogene's birth - perhaps she was already widowed when she married Edward.

It might be possible to trace the family tree back further - PM me an email address if you's like me to have a go!.:)