Purchasing Contraceptives

So... do you get embarrassed?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. So... do you get embarrassed?

• Yes
    • No
    • I couldn't possibly say....

I can remember as a young un these guys that used to come into the barber shop and mutter something under their breath to the barber. The barber used to take a small package out of a nearby drawer. The guy would hand him money and then scoot out the door with the expression of a spy who had just passed on some highly secret information. It was all very furtive and very funny.

Nowadays they come in ten packs, hanging on open racks outside the pharmacy department brazenly advertised as " specially ribbed for her pleasure"

I can remember as a young un these guys that used to come into the barber shop and mutter something under their breath to the barber. The barber used to take a small package out of a nearby drawer. The guy would hand him money and then scoot out the door with the expression of a spy who had just passed on some highly secret information. It was all very furtive and very funny.

Nowadays they come in ten packs, hanging on open racks outside the pharmacy department brazenly advertised as " specially ribbed for her pleasure"

My ex explained the mystery of why they come in packs of three, and packs of twelve.

The 3-pack is for before you marry... (Friday night, Saturday Night, Sunday morning ;)

The 12 pack was for after you married... January, February, March.....

My ex explained the mystery of why they come in packs of three, and packs of twelve.

The 3-pack is for before you marry... (Friday night, Saturday Night, Sunday morning ;)

The 12 pack was for after you married... January, February, March.....

:wow: Here's me looking forward to flouncing round in a lovely dress for the day in August and you mean this is all I've got to look forward to afterwards???:hihi:

Although the nurse when I renew my pills said last time..."you won't be needing these for much longer will you?" :help: As if having a ring placed on my finger is suddenly going to change my horror at the thought of being pregnant into rivers of gushing broodiness. She obviously knows me well. Not. :help:

Condoms were not available where I grew up (or else my parents were somewhat shy - which I doubt. I came home for the Easter holidays when I was 12 and noted that my mother was 'getting a bit fat'. She wasn't too pleased and my Dad took me on one side and told me she was pregnant.

"But I thought you'd stopped having children?" I asked. "We thought so too." He said "But we were wrong.

My youngest brother was born during the summer holidays. When I went back to school after those holidays, I did so with some extra money and an instruction to go and buy 144 Durex.

There was a small shop called 'The Herbal Store' which display of Durex in the Window. Small boys did tend to peek in the window and snigger ... and the shop owner tended to come out and sneer at them.

I arranged with a friend (same age) to go to the Herbal Store (we planned this out;).)

We went inside and tried conspicuously to look inconspicuous. When the customer who was in there saw us he left. (Perhaps he felt embarrassed about buying in front of two boys.)

The shop owner pointed to an open box (he did sell them in singles, but the usual purchase was a 'packet of three': "Would sir like to make a purchase? ... One of these, perhaps? ... Or is sir feeling lucky and would sir like to purchase a packet of three?"

I looked at him in horror.

"PACKET OF THREE? That will hardly do now, will it? Do you think there is SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME?

THREE??? I'm on to a promise. I've got a busy weekend ahead, I want a box of 12 dozen."

I put the money down on the counter. It wiped the smirk right off his face - But as I probably bought more than he's sold all day, he was no longer upset about the customer my friend and I had frightened away.

Yes. For my father (as I said at the start of the post, they weren't available on the Island where I grew up. - I went to school on an Island where they were available.

I've never tried a lambskin condom. I received the folowing snippet of information recently:

CONDOM HISTORY :

In 1272, the Arabs invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.

In 1713, the British refined the idea somewhat by taking the intestine out of the goat first.

Archived