Sheffield Corporation Sunday Bus tours in the 60's

As a child I can remember being took on Sunday afternoon bus tours around our scenic City( Not normal service operation routes).I think there were around 6 in total with 3 operating on the 1st and 3rd Sunday and the other 3 being operated on the 2nd and 4th Sunday during the summer. Can any one else remember?

In the back of my mind I think one was around Lodge moor/Bradfield/Bradfield/Ewden and one was a Greater Sheffield tour loosely based around the Old outer circle with bits of Derbyshire and Barnsley added in.

Ah the days when operators marketed its operations and pick up some extra income on quiet Sundays!!

Here's an idea how about the people who operater the Bus museum near Meadowhall relaunch some of these tours with buses from its collection.

If anyone can remember the others i would be most grateful.

Makes you wonder if they operated something similar now or even the evening mystery tours as they do at the coast, if it was to be introduced for visitors or even local residents (not p**s heads) if it would take off in the summer.

Following a chat with some colleagues at work the tour i was thinking of was the 'Lakeland Tour' around the north west area of the city and passed serveral reservoirs with a refreshment stop at Bolsterstone.

The others were Greater Sheffield Circle and North Peakland.

Some seem to recall that they also operated into the late 70's so these would have been in the early SYPTE days when it did operate buses. Still trying to recall the 3 others.

I don't exactly remember these tours, but I do have film of one of them. Sometime in the 60's the transport department made a promotional film (I assume for showing in local cinemas) of one of these tours.

In the mid 80's SYT released the film together with a number of others on a special video which you could buy from the little travel enquiry office in the hole in the road.

There are also fiulm about the "last" Sheffield trams on the same tape!

The tour featured on the video takes in the Gleadless area and the "clean & modern tower-blocks" of Norfolk Park! (I kid you not!!!!)

:D

• 1 year later...

The first name that came to mind re- Bus Tours was the 'Strines'. This followed the 48 Manchester route to just after Stocksbridge and turnig off to the left just before reaching the Penistone to Woodhead Rd. Worked on the buses (STD) for about six years but never managed to drop lucky for one of these Sunday extras.

Ken.

• 1 year later...
As a child I can remember being took on Sunday afternoon bus tours around our scenic City( Not normal service operation routes).I think there were around 6 in total with 3 operating on the 1st and 3rd Sunday and the other 3 being operated on the 2nd and 4th Sunday during the summer. Can any one else remember?

In the back of my mind I think one was around Lodge moor/Bradfield/Bradfield/Ewden and one was a Greater Sheffield tour loosely based around the Old outer circle with bits of Derbyshire and Barnsley added in.

Ah the days when operators marketed its operations and pick up some extra income on quiet Sundays!!

Here's an idea how about the people who operater the Bus museum near Meadowhall relaunch some of these tours with buses from its collection.

The trips were called 'Tour of Sheffields Lake District'.

The trips were called 'Tour of Sheffields Lake District'.

As silverknight wrote, the "Lakeland Tour" was its official name, but the advertising poster continued "Go on a tour of Sheffield's Lake District..".It was operated in the late 1950s and 1960s - I know it was running in 1967 as I remember my girlfriend (now my wife - but only since last year!) and I went on it. It was a single decker which left Sheffield via Manchester Road and went past Rivelin Dams and via Hollow Meadows to Moscar Top where it turned right to go around Strines, Agden etc. reservoirs and then over to the Ewden Valley. When it was available they tended to use the "luxury" coach (registration No 9000 WB) which was the one used for civic dignitaries etc. - more usually this bus operated on the No 48 Manchester via Woodhead service.

I also remember the "Lakeland Tour" (yes - that was its name) which operated every Sunday during the summer months. I hadn't realised that there were other, similar tours - maybe I missed out. Another tour that operated in the 1980s used an old back-loading, open-platform bus (with the chain on!) and went round the city "proper". I remember going on this tour and realising how much more comfortable buses are now, with smoother suspension etc!

• 4 months later...

i did one or two strines tours about 69 to 72 they were slow and boring and you made a toilet stop at bolsterstone .you also had an old single decker which wasnt all that confertouble but if i remember correctly it got you out for about four hours

I remember going on one of these tours in about 1961. Don't know what the name of the tour was, but there were two single deckers on this particular tour. I can't remember the route taken, but I do know the refreshment stop was in the Monsal Head Hotel car park.

Archived