Fencing Clubs in Sheffield

I'm not expecting much success with this, as other posts have got pretty minimal response, but my girlfriend is intersted in having a stab at fencing (so to speak) and I was wondering if anyone knew if the clubs/schools that used to be in Broomhill and Ringinglow were still going?

I know there's one at EIS, but I can't be doing with driving that far...

I think these ones might be the ones you're thinking of-

SHEFFIELD BUCCANEERS FENCING CLUB

Coaching in all aspects of foil, epee and sabre fencing.

Contact Name: Adam Blight

Telephone 1: 0114 273 8681

Mobile: 07761 284378

Email: adamblight10@wannadoo.co.uk

Meet Details

Birkdale School Gymnasium

Birkdale School

4 Oakholme Road

Sheffield

South Yorkshire

S10 3DF

Days and Times: Wed 7-8.30pm (juniors aged 7-14 years), 8.30-10pm (seniors aged 14 years and over)

Record last Amended 09/06/2009

<DETAILS REMOVED at SFS request>

Edited by esme
Removed at SFS request

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I gave it a go. And will be going again tomorrow - my girlfriend and I really enjoyed it. We ended up trying the place at Ringinglow - very friendly and a good mix of people.

I think EIS is probably a bit more "hardcore" than the others due to the competition-geared training I gather they focus on, so I gave it a miss. We'd just slow them down!

We don't focus on competition training but it is available if required. If you're happy at Ringinglow that's fine so I hope to see you at the EIS one day in the future.

Remember, fencers are always on the piste.

Sorry, didn't mean to mis-represent. As I said in my original post, my main issue with trying there was the drive there and back. On reflection I now remember exchanging emails with someone from EIS a year or so ago and they seemed very friendly and accommodating of beginners. Sorry!

• 1 month later...

Hello LH,

Just spotted your post. A new club has opened in your area:

Mylnhurst Community Fencing Club

British Fencing qualified coach delivering the the most up to date courses in fencing. All 3 Olympic weapons (foil, sabre & epee) catered for from absolute beginner to advanced performance levels.

All ages catered for.

Fencing kit is provided in the basic cost of the course.

These classes are delivered in first class modern venues with shower facilities, excellent disabled access, parking and bar/TV/snack facilities available. Spectators/parents welcome. Please contact me to confirm a place on our next available course. I look forward to hearing from you.

Mylnhurst Sports Centre, Mylnhurst Preparatory School,

Button Hill, Ecclesall, Sheffield, S11 9HJ., South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Mondays, 7.30PM to 9.30PM, term time only.

Rates: Members - £6 (Consessions £5) / week, Drop-in +£1.

Yours... Coach3W

A slightly different approach to consider: rather than sport-fencing, has your girlfriend considered medieval re-enactment? You get the sword-training, but starting with broadsword rather than the modern sporting blades, and then moving on to all sorts of other pre-gunpowder weapons.

I'm not saying either is "better" than the others, it depends what she/you want. Re-enactment gives you the competitive element of fighting both as an individual in tournaments and as part of a unit in massed battles, sometimes with up to 2000 opponents on the field. There's also a whole lot of other historical which run alongside the fighting. Sport fencing provides the 'on the piste' competition with very strict rules, which I personally find quite sterile.

Best of all, you can try re-enactment for a few weeks for free to see if you like it and us. Come to Knights In Battle's practices at St Augustine's Church on Brocco Bank every Wednesday and say hello.

http://www.knightsinbattle.com