Fencing Clubs in Sheffield

Just a quick reply regarding fencing rules:

Most rules in fencing are there to protect the fencer from any brutish elements or put off those who might be tempted to cheat...

Regards... Coach3W

A slightly different approach to consider: rather than sport-fencing, has your girlfriend considered medieval re-enactment? You get the sword-training, but starting with broadsword rather than the modern sporting blades, and then moving on to all sorts of other pre-gunpowder weapons.

I'm not saying either is "better" than the others, it depends what she/you want. Re-enactment gives you the competitive element of fighting both as an individual in tournaments and as part of a unit in massed battles, sometimes with up to 2000 opponents on the field. There's also a whole lot of other historical which run alongside the fighting. Sport fencing provides the 'on the piste' competition with very strict rules, which I personally find quite sterile.

Best of all, you can try re-enactment for a few weeks for free to see if you like it and us. Come to Knights In Battle's practices at St Augustine's Church on Brocco Bank every Wednesday and say hello.

Just a quick reply regarding fencing rules:

Most rules in fencing are there to protect the fencer from any brutish elements or put off those who might be tempted to cheat...

Regards... Coach3W

Absolutely, and we have strict safety rules in re-enactment fighting for the same reasons.

My point was only that I see the rules in sport fencing as restrictive to the point where they are changing the 'feel' of the fighting. For example, being 'on the piste' restricts you to very linear forward-and-back fighting, but the freedom of re-enactment styles means that you can, if you feel it would be advantageous, move round to your opponent's weaker side. Sword and buckler works very much in this style, where you defend with one (not necessarily the buckler) and step around to your opponent's blocked side to attack with the other. It allows you to be much more creative with your fighting style.

• 6 months later...

Can anyone recommend where to buy fencing gear?Also can anyone give feedback on the Mylnhurst /Buccaneers club as I'm pondering where to go to resume fencing. I used to go to EIS but I didn't feel it was the place for me but I really missed it when I gave up. Luckily I stumbled upon the forum. Thanks.

Have a look at buccaneersfencing.co.uk for information about Sheffield Buccaneers Fencing Club. You would be very welcome to come down on any Wednesday. For fencing kit, look at the websites for - Leon Paul Equipment, Alstar UK, 2020 Alpha, Blades, Duellist.

Have a look at buccaneersfencing.co.uk for information about Sheffield Buccaneers Fencing Club. You would be very welcome to come down on any Wednesday. For fencing kit, look at the websites for - Leon Paul Equipment, Alstar UK, 2020 Alpha, Blades, Duellist.

Thanks djarisf -appreciated!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Angilaruk,

See my post above about Knights In Battle. We start training everyone with the broadsword (and then move on to other weapons, like mace and pollaxe). We concentrate on historical fighting rather than the fencing aspect.

Send your O/H along to see us at St Augustine's any Wednesday night and see if he likes what he sees.

Hi, does anyone know where there is any historical sword fighting/fencing lessons being held? My O/H would love to take this up.

Thanks in advance

Angi

Fencing lessons are available at the EIS at Attercliffe with Sheffield Sword Club. Beginners are always welcome.

If you live on the south Side of Sheffield you might like to try Wingerworth Fencing Club which is just the other side of Chesterfield.