BBC Children In Need - an undeserving charity?

For all those who say it's unfair that Children in Need hog the limelight:

"Our mission is to make a positive change to the lives of disadvantaged children and young people across the UK. Our vision is a society where each and every child and young person is supported to realise their potential.

In 2008 the BBC Children in Need Appeal raised over £38 million and for every penny you gave the charity, a penny will go towards projects helping disadvantaged children in the UK. We are able to make this promise because the charity uses its investment income and Gift Aid to cover all running costs. Every year, thanks to public donations and the amazing efforts of fundraisers, schools, businesses and our corporate partners, we are able to provide support to thousands of youngsters aged 18 and under.

We provide this support in the form of grants to organisations working with children who may have experienced mental, physical or sensory disabilities; behavioural or psychological disorders; are living in poverty or situations of deprivation; or suffering through distress, abuse or neglect.

The size and scale of the BBC Children in Need Appeal means that we're able to give grants to hundreds of different organisations, some of which are very small and don't have the resources to fundraise for themselves.

The charity operates all year round, not just the months leading up to Appeal night, and our staff around the UK process thousands of applications for funding. Every year the funding requests exceed the amount of money raised so we carefully assess all applications to ensure that grants are targeted on areas of real need. Voluntary committee members, based in each region, draw on their expertise and local knowledge to advise our board of Trustees which projects should receive grants, and funds are allocated geographically to ensure that all corners of the UK get a share of the money raised."

Children in Need is a charity that acts in the way of a trust fund, handing out grants to organisations and smaller charities to help deprived and disadvantaged children.

I'm in two minds about CIN. I do support it with a small donation each year, and we fundraise at work, however I do know of charities (ours included) who have applied for funds and been turned down several times.

It seems that that there are many charities doing extremely good work who just don't seem to fit the CIN criteria. New projects and charities have more chance of receiving funding, so you have more & more charities & projects being set up when there are already so many out there who have been around for years struggling for funds because they don't get anywhere near the exposure that CIN gets.

I feel CIN is now too big and takes up far too much of the BBC's time.

I have two children of my own, so i agree with it in principle. However, you've got to question the motives of those that are taking part. How many of them will have an album/film out in time for christmas? Why don't they give some of their wealth rather than their time.

I have two children of my own, so i agree with it in principle. However, you've got to question the motives of those that are taking part. How many of them will have an album/film out in time for christmas? Why don't they give some of their wealth rather than their time.

They might donate money to charity, but don't make the fact public.

To all (like myself) who have children with no disabilities etc, spare a thought for those children who are less fortunate. Did anyone see the young girl on Calendar this evening who has no hands or legs. The money raised on CIN goes to help people like this get some quality of life they otherwise might not get.

I think it is a good cause but I think the money should only go to children who are ill or disabled to help give them a better quality of life. I don't think the money should go into building youth clubs for kids who are perfectly healthy just because they come from families who can't afford the latest trainers and designer clothes because they are not really disadvantaged.

It's the present governments way of getting the public to fund what they should be funding ! It's a complete con ! Let some of the so called 'celebs' give a few million quid of their own personal fortune. I am sure the awful Wogan or whoever is hosting this dire event won't miss it !

It's the present governments way of getting the public to fund what they should be funding ! It's a complete con ! Let some of the so called 'celebs' give a few million quid of their own personal fortune. I am sure the awful Wogan or whoever is hosting this dire event won't miss it !

So, you want the government to spend their money, which is the public's money on a charity, rather than the public spend the public's money on the same thing so. :loopy:

I am also liking your idea that those with money shouldn't have money, by donating it away, very communist of you ;)

Gan

Archived