BBC Children In Need - an undeserving charity?

It's the present governments way of getting the public to fund what they should be funding ! It's a complete con ! Let some of the so called 'celebs' give a few million quid of their own personal fortune. I am sure the awful Wogan or whoever is hosting this dire event won't miss it !

So you'd rather the government force you to pay for it through taxes rather than you having the choice? Interesting point of view.

For all those who say it's unfair that Children in Need hog the limelight:

"Our mission is to make a positive change to the lives of disadvantaged children and young people across the UK. Our vision is a society where each and every child and young person is supported to realise their potential.

In 2008 the BBC Children in Need Appeal raised over £38 million and for every penny you gave the charity, a penny will go towards projects helping disadvantaged children in the UK. We are able to make this promise because the charity uses its investment income and Gift Aid to cover all running costs. Every year, thanks to public donations and the amazing efforts of fundraisers, schools, businesses and our corporate partners, we are able to provide support to thousands of youngsters aged 18 and under.

We provide this support in the form of grants to organisations working with children who may have experienced mental, physical or sensory disabilities; behavioural or psychological disorders; are living in poverty or situations of deprivation; or suffering through distress, abuse or neglect.

The size and scale of the BBC Children in Need Appeal means that we're able to give grants to hundreds of different organisations, some of which are very small and don't have the resources to fundraise for themselves.

The charity operates all year round, not just the months leading up to Appeal night, and our staff around the UK process thousands of applications for funding. Every year the funding requests exceed the amount of money raised so we carefully assess all applications to ensure that grants are targeted on areas of real need. Voluntary committee members, based in each region, draw on their expertise and local knowledge to advise our board of Trustees which projects should receive grants, and funds are allocated geographically to ensure that all corners of the UK get a share of the money raised."

Children in Need is a charity that acts in the way of a trust fund, handing out grants to organisations and smaller charities to help deprived and disadvantaged children.

Well done, you can cut and paste press releases. Why don't you tell us why you think it's a worthy cause rather than just parroting what they tell you?

For the record, I have nothing against people giving to children's charities, but it should be a personal choice rather than a national guilt trip.

Let's not also forget that the BBC is obsessed with London and the South East so most of the money will go to organisations down there. If you want to help children in our area, save the money you'd have sent to Children In Need and send it to a local charity instead such as this one!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/tv_and_radio/newsid_8238000/8238256.stm

Let's not also forget that the BBC is obsessed with London and the South East so most of the money will go to organisations down there.

Again, utter rubbish.

This morning my local news stated that the NW region donated £1 million last year, but had £4 million of CIN money spent in the region.

Well done, you can cut and paste press releases. Why don't you tell us why you think it's a worthy cause rather than just parroting what they tell you?

For the record, I have nothing against people giving to children's charities, but it should be a personal choice rather than a national guilt trip.

Let's not also forget that the BBC is obsessed with London and the South East so most of the money will go to organisations down there. If you want to help children in our area, save the money you'd have sent to Children In Need and send it to a local charity instead such as this one!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/tv_and_radio/newsid_8238000/8238256.stm

If you read my post carefully and looked at the last paragraph, you would have read why I think it's a worthy cause. Why would you think a charity helping desperate and needy children is anything but bad. If they help the deprived and needy then it can only be a good thing.

With regards to it being a charity for the London and South East areas. Have a look at this grant information and decide for yourself. As far as I can see, the charity benefits organisations nationwide.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/grants/map.shtml

Some of the money goes to good causes, but unfortunately it appears that quite a lot of the money goes to causes that I would not class as good, so I won't be donating anything. You only have to look at the grants awarded in the South Yorkshire region here to see why.

And don't ask me why Paignton comes under South Yorkshire!

You mean exactly like you persist in doing in other threads? Pot/Kettle.

For the record, I have nothing against people giving to children's charities,

Now you've discovered everyone else doesn't agree with you.

but it should be a personal choice rather than a national guilt trip.

Which is exactly what it is, a choice. Not guilt trip.

Let's not also forget that the BBC is obsessed with London and the South East so most of the money will go to organisations down there.

Yes, that's why the BBC fund regional offices, one of which is in Sheffield!

If you want to help children in our area, save the money you'd have sent to Children In Need and send it to a local charity instead such as this one!

A worthy cause. The irony of using a BBC page to refer to it isn't lost.

It's the present governments way of getting the public to fund what they should be funding ! It's a complete con ! Let some of the so called 'celebs' give a few million quid of their own personal fortune. I am sure the awful Wogan or whoever is hosting this dire event won't miss it !

Yeah course it is.

How comes thenit started in 1980 - a year into the Thatcher nightmare?

Get your hand in your pocket you tight git!

Archived