Orchard Square History

csg1

The buildings were originally Firth College, built in 1879. Firth College subsequently amalgamated with several other Sheffield colleges to become the University of Sheffield in a new building on Western bank.

The buildings on Leopold street were then used partly for the City Grammar School and partly for the Council Education offices.

Orchard Place was the Matenity and Child Welfare Clinic just down from Leopold St, it covered some of the area of Orchard Square and there was access to it from Fargate.

The clinic was there before it moved to Mulberry st.

When Sheffield Public Health Dept was taken over by Trent Reginal Hospital board, Sheffield would have lost prime building land when handing the clinic over, so they quickly moved Orchard Place Clinic or this was what I was told.

Staff carried papers, files etc down Fargate and into the new place so that Sheffield could move in time to retain the Orchard Place buiding and land.

hazel

The buildings were originally Firth College, built in 1879. Firth College subsequently amalgamated with several other Sheffield colleges to become the University of Sheffield in a new building on Western bank.

The buildings on Leopold street were then used partly for the City Grammar School and partly for the Council Education offices.

Greybeard, I think you might be confusing Leopold Square (the old Education offices) and Orchard Square.

Hi, does anyone know where I can go for information on the construction of Orchard Square, what was there before, why it was built etc. (just general history of the area).

Thanks for anyone who can help.

In the 1860's my great, great grandfather lived on Orchard Street in the Knowles Building which lies adjacent to Orchard Square. I'm not sure what the Knowles Building was: probably a tenement, but a look at a trades directory from thirty years earlier shows that there was a real Dickensian hodgepodge of activities on that particular street. There were two taverns (The Mermaid & the 3 Tuns), a straw hat maker, a powder flask & shot belt manufacturer, a lancet & fleam manufacturer, a clasp maker and a school. In addition, there were the usual shops ( furniture, baker, bookseller & stationer, ironmonger and a tile dealer) and some trades like dressmaker, hosier & glover, maltster and corn factor & flour dealer which have either died out or been taken over by large mass production companies.

Hi, does anyone know where I can go for information on the construction of Orchard Square, what was there before, why it was built etc. (just general history of the area).

Thanks for anyone who can help.

I would be interested in this as it is one of my favourite parts of the city centre. Wasn't the 'new' Orchard Square built around 1986ish? I remember going down to the restaurant part on the lower floor around 1987-88ish where TKMaxx is now. It was great and seemed bigger than it is now.

I would be interested in this as it is one of my favourite parts of the city centre. Wasn't the 'new' Orchard Square built around 1986ish? I remember going down to the restaurant part on the lower floor around 1987-88ish where TKMaxx is now. It was great and seemed bigger than it is now.

I remember those restaurents downstairs! It was like a much smaller version of the Oasis in Meadowhall.

I used to go in there for a jacket potato with cheese when pregnant in 1991.:D

Looking at Google maps I obviously had got the wrong place. :D

Orchard square is the successor to a gennel and yard that ran from Fargate back to the rear of the buildings on Orchard place. It was once known as Favell's Yard perhaps after a surgeon of that name who had house on Fargate.

Old maps show properties of various sizes in and around the yard, some may have been domestic but I suspect most will have been workshops and warehouses etc.

In this photo the old building on the right has windows typical of a cutlery works or silversmith's

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/w00677.jpg

There is also a photo of the Maternity and Child Welfare Clinic that stood in Orchard Place.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/w00563.jpg

and the house Peace is supposed to have escaped from

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s05931

Archived