Couple held captive by somalian pirates?

and who do the uk government think they are stating catagorically they do not negotiate with hostage takers

cold comfort to them, their freinds, families and anybody else who may be future hostages

so if they dont negotiate.......they are essentially "forgotten" and in limbo........what a feeling that must be

yeah not negotiating is morally right BUT.......is, possibly causing the death of people, fellow citizens morally right.......purely from NOT TALKING?

and who do the uk government think they are stating catagorically they do not negotiate with hostage takers

cold comfort to them, their freinds, families and anybody else who may be future hostages

so if they dont negotiate.......they are essentially "forgotten" and in limbo........what a feeling that must be

yeah not negotiating is morally right BUT.......is, possibly causing the death of people, fellow citizens morally right.......purely from NOT TALKING?

Now... if it was goods... things worth actual money like the cargo of a ship.... theyd send the dosh without a murmur.

People though... worthless in their eyes.

My bold

I think the no negotiation refers to the payment of a ransom and is to try and prevent future hostages being taken. If the Government won't cough up any money, there's no point in others taking hostages in the future, because they won't get owt.

I'm sure there are negotiations going on, but the Government will be keeping very quiet about them, until they can be sure of the outcome.

Come to think of it, why should the Government be responsible for the safe recovery of a couple of very stupid British people in the first place? I'd be pretty damned fed up if the Government did decide to pay out my (taxpayer) money to rescue a couple of idiots who chose to sail into such dangerous waters.

No.

Those with ships/cargoes of value have paid out and led to the expansion of this Somali profession and the recruitment of idiots into the game.

There is no ransom value in this unforunate couple.

If all pirates had been blown out of the water/land in the past, it is very unlikely that this little yacht would have been seized.

Now... if it was goods... things worth actual money like the cargo of a ship.... theyd send the dosh without a murmur.

People though... worthless in their eyes.

My bold

Stop talking daft, the Government wouldn't cough up for a cargo any more than they'd cough up for people - and for the same reason. Because it would only encourage others to hold cargo/people to ransom.

My bold

Stop talking daft, the Government wouldn't cough up for a cargo any more than they'd cough up for people - and for the same reason. Because it would only encourage others to hold cargo/people to ransom.

but they DO pay for cargo... we see images on the news if dosh being parachuted to them.

My bold

I think the no negotiation refers to the payment of a ransom and is to try and prevent future hostages being taken. If the Government won't cough up any money, there's no point in others taking hostages in the future, because they won't get owt.

I'm sure there are negotiations going on, but the Government will be keeping very quiet about them, until they can be sure of the outcome.

Come to think of it, why should the Government be responsible for the safe recovery of a couple of very stupid British people in the first place? I'd be pretty damned fed up if the Government did decide to pay out my (taxpayer) money to rescue a couple of idiots who chose to sail into such dangerous waters.

i kind of agree with you.

i think, we should offer them several thousand of the somalians we have here in exchange for the safe return of the 2 brits they are holding!

The difference is that if you hijack a tanker with $50 million of oil from Esso and ask $2 million from Esso then the crew and ship is released and maybe the next 20 tankers get through due to operational changes.

Once you start negotiating with domestic hostage takers then every man, woman and child venturing abroad becomes a potential revenue stream to every criminally minded scumbag with a gun or knife. When you produce a ransom you instantly give a monetary value to all nationals.

It's not nice, it won't bring any comfort to the hostages or the families but it is the hard decision that goverment has to make.

Archived