Manor Castle Pub

mr_blue_owl

My grandfather George Marshall was landlord of a pub called the Manor Castle on Edward Street - for 25 years according to records.

I recently found an Internet photograph of the pub from the 1930s with Grandad's name above the door.

I was wondering if anyone knows where the pub got it's name as it is some distance form the site of Manor Castle.

I would be most grateful if anyone could shed some light on this as I am researching my family hisrory. My dad, also George Marshall, grew up in the pub and he married my mum, Ruth Hartley from Hoyle Street, in the late forties.

My grandfather would have been the cellar man at that time (Walt Bradley)

Hi Tenbob,

Really! I did not expect anyone to know much, about the place let alone get a reply from a relative of the cellarman.

Do you have any more details e.g the year the pub closed etc.

Thanks & Regards

• 3 years later...
My grandfather George Marshall was landlord of a pub called the Manor Castle on Edward Street - for 25 years according to records.

I recently found an Internet photograph of the pub from the 1930s with Grandad's name above the door.

I was wondering if anyone knows where the pub got it's name as it is some distance form the site of Manor Castle.

I would be most grateful if anyone could shed some light on this as I am researching my family hisrory. My dad, also George Marshall, grew up in the pub and he married my mum, Ruth Hartley from Hoyle Street, in the late forties.

Hi mr_blue_owl,

I know this thread is from a really long time ago but I am a journalism student at the university of Sheffield and I am about to do a feature on the hauntings in and around Sheffield. I know that there was some paranormal activity recorded in the Manor Castle Pub and I was wondering if you knew if your Granddad or dad experienced anything while he was there? It would be really helpful to hear first hand experiences from anyone!

Thanks a lot!

The locals always called the Manor Lodge, the Manor Castle, which is how the pub got its name.

The locals always called the Manor Lodge, the Manor Castle, which is how the pub got its name.

mr blue owl is on about this Manor Castle pub.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/yorkshire/pics/sheffield_manorcastle.jpg

Used to drink in there in the eighties had some great times with Phil and Frank Carr you could get your hands on owt saturday dinner:hihi:

mr blue owl is on about this Manor Castle pub.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/yorkshire/pics/sheffield_manorcastle.jpg

Red Face in order, I just read Manor Castle and my brain shut everything else out!

---------- Post added 21-11-2013 at 19:33 ----------

When you look at a map of the Crofts and Edward St, the once Manor Castle pub wasn't to far away from the Sheffield Castle, so its reasonable to name it after that.

Archived