Places to show a stranger of Sheffield!

Stargazer8

I have a friend coming to visit next weekend and since I'm lacking in imagination with what to do with him I was wondering if anyone could help?

Aside from the usual going out for a drink or a meal, does anyone recommend what to do in the day time?

I have been thinking about taking him to the Fox House area as that's all I really know. But is there anywhere else that's interesting or beautiful? Is there anywhere we can go on a boat in one of the splendid lakes in the peaks for example?

I've also been thinking about Chatsworth House.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Merroney

what about the blue John caverns you could take him there and you get to go on a boat. or you could show him the little misters at kelham island and see how grinding was done in the old days, or there is crich tramway or you could try matlock they have boats out there or bakewell, and the surrounding places yes chatsworth is out that way as is chesterfield and the crooked spire. you could always look on the internet for sheffield and see what it gives you or even some of the places to look at I hope this helps you.

Castleton - you've got the caverns, or a walk up Peveril Castle, and ofcause, pubs. The beer garden at The Castle is lovely.

Or a trip to Derwent? Walk or hire a cycle up to Howden Dam, a place which will have a lasting effect on your friend.

Bakewell, Monsal Dale, Buxton. The Heights of Abraham at Matlock Bath, combining cable car and caverns, certainly something a little different.

Closer to home, Five Weir Walk and/or a walk along the canal tow-path. A drink and a bite in the Canal Basin. A walk through Endcliffe Park or Millhouses Park.

How about a walk down the canal from Victoria Quays to Meadowhell? You don't have to go in just get a tram back. Fabulous walk all level too.

Ecclesall woods nice.

Or start at Endcliffe Park and walk up the valley to Forge Dam or as far as Fulwood/Mayfield Valley. It's part of the round Sheffield Walk you can keep going to Whirlow Park and get a bus back from there. Spectacular views from top of Ringinglow back over Sheffield.

Kelham Island, Millenium Galleries, Botanical Gardens, Weston Park, Caverns at Castleton are all fine and useful if weather is bad.

Speedwell Cavern is the one with boats. Its supposed to be brilliant. Also there are plenty of nice walks in around Sheffield, with nice pubs to pay a visit to. The spider walk in Mosborough is a decent example. It goes through Eckington, Ridgeway and the surrounding areas and takes a couple of hours.

The Millennium Galleries had an exhibition on the Designers Republic, but I dont know how long it is on for.

Archived