Penny Mixes

WHERE HAVE ALL THE PENNY MIXERS GONE?

I remember when i was a kid and I used to love going to get a penny mix when my mum had given me my spending money. The other day i felt nostalgic andwanted one. I searched nearly all of sheffield for one! Yes there were a few corner shops that did them and newsagents but the selection was so poor and due to inflation they were not all 1p anymore.

Does anyone else remember penny mixes?

Here are a few a can remember:

Shrimps, cola bottles, fruit salads, white and brown mice, mice with a strawberry center, golf ball chewing gum, refreshers, tabs, drumsticks, gummie bears, cherrys, lips, toothbrushes, bananas....

Did anyone else love them too? Or am i sad?! lol

Winter

Originally posted by WintersMist

WHERE HAVE ALL THE PENNY MIXERS GONE?

Here are a few a can remember:

Shrimps, cola bottles, fruit salads, white and brown mice, mice with a strawberry center, golf ball chewing gum, refreshers, tabs, drumsticks, gummie bears, cherrys, lips, toothbrushes, bananas....

Did anyone else love them too? Or am i sad?! lol

Winter

Wot!! No liquorice bootlaces! (red or black).

Nomme

There are some local shops near my old stomping grounds in Gleadless Valley still do mix's as you say.

There is a fruit n veg shop that has done them since the dawn of time. It's situated on the Hemsworth Shop's (AKA Gaunt Shops) opposite the John O'Gaunt Pub. There is also a mini sumpermarket run by an asian guy called 'mick' who does them too, on the same row of shops. I sometimes (infrequently) pop into mick's and the veg shop for a 50p or £1 mix up (I'm greedy).

They still have loads at just 1p each.

But if you really wanna go the whole hog, just nip to macro and buy your own tubs. Make as many mix up's as you like.

Mmmmmm just for that, I might make a special trip over to Gleadless for a mix!

Pick 'n' mix - the new penny mixes

UGC cinemas (UCG? y'know the one at centertainment) have the best pick 'n' mix of all the cinemas - they even have those fried egg sweets that you used to get in penny mixes.

the odeons has a **** poor selection that looks like its been sat there a decade and the showroom is all about huge bags of minstrels or winegums. i like a bit of variety so thats no good to me.

i've not been into woolies for a while - they always had a well stocked up selection and had giant cola bottles first.

Archived