Penny Mixes

The thing with penny mixes was the cola bottles...

you would either get the *fabulous* ones which had sugar on the outside and were quite sour and made you pull funny faces

OR

you would get the rubbish ones that were just gummie sweets and really boring.

Aaaaahhhh...

Woolworths and Wilkos have pick n mix type things. May have to pay them a visit!

i prefer the plain cola bottles - does that mean i'm boring?! ha ha.

wilkinsons is good innit. weigh your own with the automated price and all.

security call, code 500, zone A. everytime.

i wonder if thats for testing out the picknmix?

Most of the GT newsagent shops still do them and the little corner shops, most of the newsagents on the 'valley ' used to do them the newfield green paper shop used to do them and the one near herdings park do as well but most make up 10p mixes with or without bubblies and have them ready for the kids.

Thinking about the chews in particular....I think you got four for a penny once upon a time, or am I only dreaming?

Two flavours, one was called Fruit Salad (I think) and then there was a black one in a black and white wrapper, cant think of the name of that.

Then you got a pink bubble gum in a wrap too

and lovely jelly snakes

I am laughing as I reminisce ...you would stand there with your nose against the glass, eyes like saucers and play like Carol on Countdown with the shopkeeper

"Pleath can I have one of them and one of them and two of them pleath. One off the top row and four off the bottom row pleath."

and when they were in a hurry they wouldnt let you pick, they would say "10 pence worth?" and you would nod and they would chuck stuff in fast and it was never right because you had to have an aniseed ball between every other sweet so you needed a precise number...

Okay I am getting a life, I promise, okay going off to find one right now, dont shout at me....

Archived