Raleigh chopper bike

Anybody have one in the 70s, i did andthought i was king of the world. My dad bought me one in 1975 and it cost 40 quid, half his wages for the week. I sold it a year later for the same amount but wish i hadnt, anyone with one now should get on e bay there fetching up to 500 quid?

I had one of these bikes - great fun!

I let it go when I was about 16 or 17, because I was no longer using it. I think it wnet to a cousin or something.

I came across an advertisement for one in a 1970s magazine the other day when clearing out the garage. Great memories.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

i got my 8 year old son the mark 3 at the weekend,he thinks its great trouble is all his mates want one now could be an expensive christmas round us this year for a few families oops.

funny thing is he keeps getting stoped by older people who want a look at it and the comments he gets are ,wow i used to have one,where did you get it from and most of all wheres the gear lever gone,moving the gear lever was a good idea i had one when i was younger and the gear lever could be a real pain in the b***s.been wanting a go on it all week will have to have a go at the weekend

I never owned a Raleigh Chopper, preferring speedier racing bikes by Sun and Carlton back in the seventies of my childhood. I thought the Chopper a bit of a joke, frankly. The 'apehang' handlebars [seemingly modelled on those of Harley Davidson 'Easy Rider' style motorbikes] struck me as ludicrous, and I could not get the hang of them, when riding those owned by friends. The whole bike seemed fiendishly designed as an unsafe, unstable accident- waiting- to- happen. The three speed gears were puny and notoriously easy to break too. I still think my friend Gary bears me a grudge for 'knackering' his, as he elegantly phrased it. No, sorry, not for me.

Archived