Raleigh chopper bike

We could never afford one, my parents died in 1973 (Cue violins) and I was brought up by then by my 21 year old sister and her 25 year old hubby and they were just married and couldnt afford things like that for me.

My next door neighbour had one though, and I remember standing in my garden and watching as his dad proudly pushed the chopper out of their garage and to me it seemed a mile long!

It was bright yellow, and that seat! The seat seemed to go on forever and I remember staring bug eyed at the gear stick.

That afternoon my buddy practised hard to ride it, the handlebars made it difficult to steer but he soon got the hang of it.

A few years later I managed to scrounge an old wrecked red one and my buddy and I fixed it up so I had a chopper too, by then he had a racing bike and he would zoom ahead of me but I didnt care!

Now Im older, I STILL have a chopper, it isnt as long as the Raleigh one, and its sometimes a little TOO fast and...

Family forum...

Archived